Account name invalid characters

Options
D T
D T Member

I'm testing out migrating from Mac to Windows using a QXF file. (Quicken Classic Premier - latest version on both Mac and Windows).

On import various accounts reported errors like the following.

The account name [closed 12/20/23] Amex Biz D contains invalid charaters - renamed to *closed 12*20*23* Amex Biz D.

The accounts were never imported despite the log saying the account was renamed. (They did not appear to be marked as hidden either, they were just not imported)

I assume to get a good import I have to rename the Mac accounts appropriately.

What are the account name field specifications / restrictions on windows?

Furthermore what are the account description field specifications / restrictions on windows?

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

In Quicken for Windows, [ and ] are invalid account name characters.
    Trying to change an existing account name to contain [ and ] gives this error message:

The message also tells you which characters cannot be used as part of an account name (except the 'quotes' surrounding the list of characters).

BTW, the Euro symbol € (Alt-0128) is valid in account names even though it's not always displayed.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I can see why [ and ] are invalid, account names, categories and transfers all share the same "name space". So, Quicken wouldn't be able to tell if this is an account or a transfer [My Account].

And for characters that are above the normal (non-extended) ASCII characters is asking for trouble because they are dependent on what non-Unicode character set is set on the machine.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.