Rollover Reserve Does not Equal Total of Positive Rollovers

Options
Joseph Hanna
Joseph Hanna Member ✭✭✭✭

I have Quicken Classic Premier for Windows, Version R54.9, Build 27.1.54.9.

I checked Quicken "HELP" and found the definition of "Rollover Reserve".

All my rollover categories are set to rollover positive balances only.

My rollover reserve for January 2024, Annual View is 4,869.44. However, when I manually add all my positive rollovers I get 5,678.88, a difference of 809.44.

Is there a known "glitch" in the software causing the rollover reserve total to add wrong?

Also, does anyone know what the "Totals" under the "Balance" column represents?

I appreciate any help on this.

Tagged:

Comments

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I will start with the Totals under Balance.

It is the total of the balance rows. 350 + 133+ 470 - 3 -2919 -3 = -1972. But maybe we should back up and talk about that balance in each row. In my top row the budget is zero, the actual is 350, so I have positive balance of 350. If I had a budget of 350 the balance would have been zero. If I had a budget of 700 then the balance would have been -350. Anything other than zero is a "surprise" (nice or not so nice), it something other than the prediction (the budget number).

Now for the rollovers. To make this easier on me I'm going to turn off all the rollovers except for three.

So, I now have:

Adding: 77 + 160 - 73 = 164.

Normally I never have only positive rollovers so I have never checked those for being correct, I will do it with the ones above, but this is just very limited test of this which might not reflect whatever problem you might be having.

Then maybe it will! I notice the color changed on the balance, but it still shows as a sum of 164. That seems wrong, but then I look at where it really counts and that is the next month.

The rollover amount that made it to the next month is actually correct at zero, since there was no positive rollover.

If I change this back rolling over both positive and negative:

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Joseph Hanna
    Joseph Hanna Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks Chris for your input. However, I still don't understand why the rollover reserve seems wrong.

Your sample #1 shows three categories, Groceries, Household, and Vacation, with all three set to rollover positive and negative balances. The rollover reserve correctly adds to 164 (77 + 160 - 73).

Your sample #2 shows the same three categories, only this time Vacation is set to rollover positive balances only. I would expect the rollover reserve to be 237 (77 + 160, ignoring the -73).

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I should have been clearer; I too think that number is wrong, and it is a bug.

It does look like it actually transfers the right amount to the next month, but the current month is wrong.

I don't think there are many people using the positive only rollover and maybe that is why it hasn't been caught before.

Note that I didn't extend the test to multiple months, so I don't know how the problem would affect future months or if it doesn't at all and only the current month number is wrong.

Signature:
  • Cehmd
    Cehmd Member ✭✭
    Options

Why is the rollover reserve greater than the difference between the budget listed on the top of the graph view minus the amount left listed below the bar graph on the summary bar on the graph view

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I almost never look at the Graph View, I don't find it very useful. I look at the Annual View. And the rollover total at the bottom of any given month is actually what it is going into the next month.

Looking at the Graph View I don't even see anywhere the rollover numbers are shown unless you click on the "Budge Status" number of a category that is set to have a rollover.

Signature:
This discussion has been closed.