Tax Form And Line For 401k

Options
cblock
cblock Member
edited March 2 in Investing (Mac)

First time user on the community!

For 401k contributions, what do I select as a tax for and line?

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

For 401k contributions, what do I select as a tax for and line?

For withholding from your paycheck for your personal contribution to the 401k? For an employer's matching contribution to a 401k?

Contributions to a 401k are not taxable, so please explain what you're trying to track for tax purposes?

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • cblock
    cblock Member
    Options

Hi Jacobs,

I am trying the use the Tax Schedule to reflect my W2 statement. I do itemize each paycheck (gross income, 401k, federal withhold, state withhold, social security, medicare). So my Quicken Tax Schedule matches the W2 in those categories. But to get to W-2 wages (box 1), I need to add taxable benefits and group term life, and subtract 401k contributions and Section 125 cafeteria plan (haven’t figured that one out yet). But to focus on 401k contributions, can a tax form and line number be assigned to 401?

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

I don’t think so, because there’s no line on your 1040 where you fill in your 401k contributions. I don’t think the Tax Report can replace your W2.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

it sounds like you could construct a transaction or summary report including just the categories for your income and all deductions, with a bottom line being your W-2 income.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

When my husband was working for the state I never could match up his paychecks to the W2. Too many things post tax and pretax. I made big excel spreadsheets.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• cblock
    cblock Member
    Options

Thanks much for the quick and insightful responses. It this point, I’m not sure how much I gain from it and therefore do not consider it a problem worth solving. I am considering using the ability to export the Tax Report into TurboTax and will be curious how automated the W2 data entry from Quicken is. No further response needed. Thanks again.

This discussion has been closed.