Syncing Quicken between two computers by copying the data file

Options
CuriousKat
CuriousKat Member ✭✭

I get the fact that the best/safest way to sync Quicken between two computers (not mobile or web sync, but between two Quicken installs on two computers) is to copy the file back and forth (thanks to splasher and others on this forum). But I want to know what "the file" means. Which file(s) exactly do I have to copy back and forth?

Best Answers

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Which version do you have? Just copy the .qdf data file. It should be in your Documents in a Quicken folder. Or do you want to copy from Windows to Mac? And you need to have the same program on both computers and updated to the same release #.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

The .QDF file is all that is needed to be copied. If you have multiple data files, you need to copy each of them that you want to work on. The currently open file's name is shown in the upper left corner of the Quicken window, in the image shown, "current" is the name of the data file open.

It is also the #1 file in the recent file list on the File menu. The full path to the file is shown there.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

There are other config files but they contain things like the last file used, backup file location and the registration of the software but IMO, nothing that really matters or needs to be copied between the two computers, in fact, if copied, they may cause confusion to the Quicken installation.

Answers

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Which version do you have? Just copy the .qdf data file. It should be in your Documents in a Quicken folder. Or do you want to copy from Windows to Mac? And you need to have the same program on both computers and updated to the same release #.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

The .QDF file is all that is needed to be copied. If you have multiple data files, you need to copy each of them that you want to work on. The currently open file's name is shown in the upper left corner of the Quicken window, in the image shown, "current" is the name of the data file open.

It is also the #1 file in the recent file list on the File menu. The full path to the file is shown there.

• CuriousKat
    CuriousKat Member ✭✭
    Options

@volvogirl and @splasher, Thank you! I was thinking definitely the .qdf file, but wasn't sure if any other config files needed to go over too.

Both machines have Quicken Classic Deluxe on Windows 11 Home

version R54.16

Build 27.1.54.16

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

There are other config files but they contain things like the last file used, backup file location and the registration of the software but IMO, nothing that really matters or needs to be copied between the two computers, in fact, if copied, they may cause confusion to the Quicken installation.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

do you also have Quicken SYNC turned on -
    or are you using the Mobile App or Quicken on the Web ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

This discussion has been closed.