Investment report and Categories

Options
BRETTB
BRETTB Member ✭✭✭✭
edited March 4 in Investing (Windows)

I don't know if I missed up or not. There are standard categories with some "_" before the name. Seems like a lot were for investments.

Anyways, I wanted a few more investment categories and I renamed mine and added "_" as a prefix so I could find them easier, but thinking does this or will this cause me any issues?

If so, is there a list of the standard quicken categories that one should have?

Next Question regarding Investment Report>Investment Activity Report.

I have a couple of categories not showing up on the report and these are my categories:

_Invest Margin Expense

_Invest Mgmt Advisory Fee

Can seem to find out how to add these or create a customer report like the Investment Activity but with these two categories on it?

Comments

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Right out of the box these are Quicken's investment Categories:

which seems pretty comprehensive. You can add an underscore (_) to any new Category you create, but that's not going to make it an investment Category in the sense that it becomes a Category that any transaction "Action" will use or that will be listed in the "investments" section of the Category List.

• BRETTB
    BRETTB Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I changed one transaction as a test where I had my custom _Margin Expense to see it it would show up on the report - INVESTMENT ACTIVITY.

It does not.

Think it should and think we should have some flexibility to create report like the Investment Activity to show it (customer categories) if we can't modify the standard report.

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

There is a "Margin Interest Action" available when you click on the "Enter Transactions" button. The Category used is _IntExp.

• BRETTB
    BRETTB Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I changed one of my transactions to _IntExp but it seems that item is not showing up on the "INVESTMENT ACTIVITY REPORT"??

• QuickUserPSP
    QuickUserPSP Member, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

@BRETTB - What I found is that if you use a custom investment category that starts with a "_" for a transaction, it won't show up in any standard investment reports. The other strange thing is that the totals will reflect those transactions, but the transactions themselves don't show up. I also found out that if you use a standard investment category in a Misc category field, that transaction will not show up as well.

When I was doing my taxes last week, I wanted qualified dividends to show up on the Schedule B report so I adjusted the appropriate dividend transactions with "_QualDivInc" using the Miscellaneous Category field in the Income Transaction. Even though I used a "legitimate" investment category in an appropriate manner, it didn't work for a standard investment report. It looks like the investment categories and investment reporting are not customizable.

This discussion has been closed.