add downloads to existing account

Options

I'm trying to Set Up Download for my existing Putnam account. I am only given the option to ADD an new account instead up setting up downloads for the existing account.

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

In your existing manual Putnam account in Quicken, is there any Financial Institution Information shown on the General tab of Account Details (everything above the Contact Name field)? If so, remove all that information and try doing the setup process, again.

If that doesn't work: Go to Account List and check the box for Show hidden accounts. Review the accounts list. Do you see any accounts that you do not recognize? If so, could it be your Putnam account?

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• debizen
    debizen Member ✭✭
    edited February 4
    Options

Neither of the above suggestions resolved my issue. I have the Putnam account setup so it's not hidden.

• QuickUserPSP
    QuickUserPSP Member, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

@debizen - Where exactly in the process does it force you to set up a new (ADD) account? I think there is a way around this, but it depends on which step in the process it occurs.

• debizen
    debizen Member ✭✭
    Options

Setup Download

Search for Name of Financial Institution

Enter "Putnam Investments"

Add Account

The same results when I try using:

Edit Account Details

Online Services

• Boatnmaniac
    Options

You might want to try going to the Online Services tab of Account Details and clicking on Set Up Now there. This will start the Add Account process but specifically for this account you already have set up in Quicken.

• debizen
    debizen Member ✭✭
    Options

I've tried that but it sets up a new account instead of downloading info into current account.

• QuickUserPSP
    edited February 4
    Options

@debizen - When it gets to the point where it wants to add a new account, go ahead and go through the process as if you are creating a new account - enter you user name and password. When you reach the screen on Quicken where it finds the account and gives you a choice of "Add" or "Link to Existing", choose "Link to Existing" and link to the account on Quicken. Choosing "Link to Existing" is the key.

If that doesn't work, then the only way you can set up a link is to go ahead and set up new account and then move all the transactions from the "old" account to the new one.

• debizen
    debizen Member ✭✭
    Options

I did not get the option to Link to Existing

• QuickUserPSP
    Options

@debizen - I think I figured out what's going on. It looks like Putnam Investments only allow for a "Web Connect" transmission type which doesn't allow for automatic downloads from within Quicken. You would need to go to your online Putnam account and then manually download transactions from there. That is why it keeps wanting to set up a new "offline" account. Here is technically what I found -

******************************************************************************

51846 51846 51846 Putnam Investments http://www.putnam.com/ 1-800-225-1581 https://www.putnam.com/individual ACTIVE 401K&WEB-CONNECT NOT_QBP NA

*****************************************************************************

If other connection types such as "Express Web Connect" or "Direct Connect" were listed then that would mean that Putnam allows for automatic downloads from within Quicken. But unfortunately, it seems like it allows only for "Web Connect" which again means a manual download from your Putnam account.

• Boatnmaniac
    Options

When you are prompted to Add the download as a new account:

• Under TYPE: Does it show the correct type of account? If not, try clicking on it to correct it.
    • Under NICKNAME IN QUICKEN: Does it show the correct Account Name of the account already in Quicken? If not, click on it. Sometimes clicking on it will correct it. If it does not automatically correct, try typing in the correct Account Name.

It has sometimes happened to me that when initially setting up an account, changing the connection method of an account or when reconnecting an account, I will be given only the option to Add the download as a new account in Quicken with no option to Link it to the existing account in Quicken. Usually the TYPE or NICKNAME IN QUICKEN are wrong and correcting them by clicking on them or manually typing in the correction will suddenly allow me to Link the download to the account that is already in Quicken.

• QuickUserPSP
    Options

@Boatnmaniac - the Putnam account can only be set up as an "offline" account. So @debizen would never see the fields for online services. I understand now where the confusion was. These types of accounts are not common.

• Boatnmaniac
    edited February 4
    Options

Ah, I thought @debizen was referring to the popup during the Add Account process where one is prompted to Link, Ignore or Add the downloaded data. But I just checked the FIDIR list and Putnam Investments does indeed only allow for Web Connect (manual download/import of transactions from the online account). Good catch.

@debizen - If this is what you are seeing it confirms that you will not be able to set up your Putnam Investments account for download into Quicken via Quicken.

Instead, you will need to log into your online account at Putnam Investments and download the transactions in .QFX (or "Web Connect" or "Quicken") format. Then you can manually import the downloaded file into Quicken and you should then be prompted to Link the import to your existing account in Quicken.

• debizen
    debizen Member ✭✭
    Options

I don't see an option to download transactions on the Putnam website.

• Boatnmaniac
    Options

Some FIs allow for WC download of transactions. Others allow for WC download of statements. If you cannot find where to download from, you will need to contact Putnam's customer service and ask them.

• srieger
    srieger Member
    Options

You have to manually enter the transactions for Putnam. There is no download option. I've been doing this for years. If you enter the correct ticker symbol it will update pricing and maintain a pricing history. All transactions have to be entered manually.

This discussion has been closed.