Wells Fargo Bank transition to Express Web Connect+ (EWC+)

Options

There are several posts about Wells Fargo Bank transitioning to EWC+. Currently, all of my 10 accounts with Wells Fargo are Direct Connect (DC) and I was never aware of the change because I never received any notification of the new method of transmission (EWC+). I know that WF customers with DC are not required to change to EWC+, but I was afraid that if I had to disconnect and reconnect online services, I would be then forced to go to EWC+. To test this theory, I just tried to add a new WF account, and my only options were EWC, DC, and WC, but no EWC+. Now I am really confused. It seems like only some of the WF customers were made to transition to EWC+ and the rest have no option to do so?

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Express Web Connect + doesn't have a separate entry. It isn't possible to have both Express Web Connect and Express Web Connect + at the same financial institution, and as such there is just the one setting.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • QuickUserPSP
    QuickUserPSP Member, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

Thanks @Chris_QPW. I tried setting up a new account again and this time I went into the EWC option. It did indeed take me into the EWC+ authentication process. So that tells me a couple of things:

1. If a user doesn't click on "Advanced Options" during the setup process, it defaults to EWC+.
    2. Otherwise, DC is still currently available by clicking on "Advanced Options".

I still don't understand why anyone would choose EWC+ when DC is available? I also don't understand why it wasn't made clear to those that were using EWC that DC was another option available, especially when there was no charge for DC?

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Some people where already using Express Web Connect Not Direct Connect, and as such they were required to go to Express Web Connect +.

As for why people weren't using Direct Connect. I think at one point Wells Fargo was charging for it, at least for business accounts, and people were avoiding that charge, but maybe more importantly for newer users Express Web Connect was the default and people had to know to go into the Advance Options to get and so they didn't get it just because it is clear that is what is needed.

Signature:
  • QuickUserPSP
    Options

That makes sense but if someone is using EWC+ currently, what would prevent them from switching to DC by deactivating online services, and then reactivating using advanced options and choosing DC?

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

My guess would be not knowing that it is possible/not knowing how to do it.

But will say that it can get even more complicated. In the case of Citibank they only supported Express Web Connect for their bank accounts, and then with Citi Cards they supported Express Web Connect and Direct Connect.

But once they switched to Express Web Connect + now all of a sudden if one goes to try to setup for Direct Connect it isn't available in R54.9 and later. And in R53.23 it is only available for "one account" and only if they haven't setup any other Citi account. It is really bizarre.

Signature:
  • QuickUserPSP
    Options

That would be my guess too. Well, we will see what happens down the road. All my 10 WF accounts are working flawlessly with DC. And as I mentioned, I never received any notification that I would need to migrate from DC. If and when that day comes hopefully the migration will be smooth and uneventful.