Bug with matching downloaded transaction to multiple linked transactions

Options
DaisyDoo
DaisyDoo Member ✭✭

So, took a bit to figure out what was happening but here is the scenario. I have several rental income accounts and some of those pay with a method that automatically puts the amount into one of my checking accounts. I have a situation where one person pays for two separate accounts (being a relative) but I still run the accounts separate since they are two different addresses. When the payment is made, I go into each account and enter a pmt made to clear the invoice and it places the pmt into my targeted checking account.

Here's where the bug comes. When the transaction is downloaded from my checking account institution, it downloads as a single transaction and I have to manually match the two account transactions to clear the entry. No big deal. When I do that, it combines the two pmts into a split entry with the two account individual transactions in the split but then assigns the Payee at the top level based on the downloaded transaction.

When it does that, it replaces the Payee name in the individual account registers for those two payments and the top level Payee is what shows up for each of the two transactions in the account registers. I have to manually go into the account registers to change the payee back to allow the pmts to clear the associated invoices.

Sounds complicated but not sure how else to explain it.

Anyone else experience this or understand what is occuring ? Having to manually make the adjustment each month is a bit of a pain.

Thanks for any input.

Comments

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hope this helps…..

What you might want to use is an intermediate holding account. Set up a cash account and call it something like Checks Received or Undeposited Payments. Then enter the payments into it. Then when you make the deposit to your bank account you transfer the total deposit amount to the new account. That way when you download your bank transactions the deposit will match. And you should use the holding account if you receive payments in one year (like in Dec) but don't make the deposit until the next year (like Jan.).

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@volvogirl I had a similar suggestion that I deleted because the OP stated that the payment went directly into their checking account, it was all online.

I guess they could accept the online payment in checking, transfer it from checking to the holding account and then send it back to checking as two separate transactions as you suggest.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• DaisyDoo
    DaisyDoo Member ✭✭
    Options

As Splasher said, the deposits are direct to the checking account, all online. I do have a holding account set up for when someone pays with a check or cash and then make the transfer when I make the run to the bank. But using a holding account for the e-deposits would be more manual manipulation than just adjusting the payee field in the individual rental accounts. When I do that, it automatically clears the invoice and payment.

Will just keep doing that for now. maybe someone at quicken will see this and put a fix an update at some point.

Thanks for the replies

This discussion has been closed.