Memorize "new" payees seems to add to existing payees

Options
Anders Martinson
Anders Martinson Member ✭✭✭

R54.16 seems to be doing something I can't prevent. Suppose you have memorized Amazon or Costco as a payee to aid in auto-complete, but you don't have a category because the things you buy vary from purchase to purchase. In earlier releases the generic transaction would just remain as the sole item.

Now every new transaction to the payee adds an item to the memorized list. This new behavior is incredibly annoying, and I don't see how the memorize payee settings can get me back to the old behavior while still memorizing a payee that is truly new.

Comments

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Did you see this in the release notes? I'm to the point where I only memorize payees manually.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Anders Martinson
    Anders Martinson Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Yes I saw this. I suppose turning off the setting entirely is the way to go because there are very few new payees I want to memorize. Still it seems that memorizing new payees and updating existing payees should be separate choices. The new behavior actually complicates categorization for the Costco and Amazon case because I want to autocomplete the payee while using specific categories for each transaction.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Try creating an entry in the MPL with $0.00 amount, no category or Split and then mark "Lock this entry …"
    Delete any extraneous MPL entries for that payee.

When you record a new transaction this locked entry will be used. Changes you make during edit, like amount and category splits will not be saved in the MPL.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

People really need to start complaining about this change, it is not a good thing like they posted, and they are also adding to the Memorized Payee list when you do find and replace.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Gail B
    Gail B Member
    Options

This is what I did (after reading some of the above comments):

Edit>Preferences>Data Entry and Quickfill>Quickfill and Memorized Payees>uncheck Automatically Memorize new payees.

No more long lists in the memorized payee list under a payee that you use a lot. No more accidentally leaving in the previous amount, thus creating trouble when reconciling bank statement. No more mistakes in categorizing. "Lock and Leave" now works for me! Of course, I will have to remember to manually add any new payees, as that feature is now turned off.

Thanks, UKR, for your suggestion, but for me, I have about 100 payees, and I guess I would have to do this to each one, manually. I guess since I've got it fixed for my purposes now, I'll leave it alone. I've already spent way too much time trying to fix it. And customer service never answered after nearly 20 minute hold. Maybe someone at Q will read this thread and decide to fix it in the next update. BTW, my entire year's Quicken budget was wiped out a couple of months ago by an update, and I had to re-construct it. But thanks to all for helping me fix this issue. Maybe I'll be in a better mood now. :) Gail (Quicken user since 1996)

This discussion has been closed.