Add new "Transfer ESPP Shares To Another Account"

Options
rgrindley
rgrindley Member ✭✭
edited February 4 in Investments

I have a UTMA account for my kids. My company's RSU account is with Fidelity, and this account holds both regular RSU shares and also ESPP shares. Quicken does correctly identify that the shares are different, labeling them as "Company X" and "Company X ESPP". And it realizes that ESPP shares are treated differently for tax purposes.

But when I go to transfer my ESPP shares to the UTMA account, Quicken's "Transfer Shares To Another Account" will only list the regular (non-ESPP) shares in the account. There is no way to transfer just the ESPP shares. I've seen other discussion forum suggestions about transferring all shares in the account, but this would also move all my regular shares, which I would then have to move back. Also, the transfer of ESPP shares has special tax consequences: The "discount" shows up as regular income for me (and is taxed as such), but the shares transfer into my kid's account at the reduced cost basis - which is fine, as they will pay a much reduced capital gains when they eventually do sell the shares.

1 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

The ESPPs and ESOs are quite "bizarre"/complicated in Quicken. They are created with "wizards" and they actually create new securities to hold those shares. As a result, I think this problem is like (but maybe even more complicate) why features like Year End Copy don't touch investment transactions. If you have "security lots" you basically have a connected transactions (the buy and the sell) that are really complicated to deal with if you don't move the whole security lot together. And with the ESPPs/ESOs there is a lot more going on behind the scenes that you don't see and moving them around might break that relationship.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/