Report detail to open in new tab instead of new window (Q Mac)

Options
Tyler Hill
Tyler Hill Member ✭✭
edited April 28 in Reports (Mac)

Version 7.5.2 (Build 705.51955.100) for Mac. Report detail is opening in new window since I last upgraded. How do get it to open in a new tab

Tagged:

Best Answer

• DLA2
    DLA2 Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Well, I guess if I keep working at it, I'll solve my own problem ;) Turns out the default action in Quicken is controlled in general settings for MacOS. Go to Settings>Desktop & Dock and make sure the "Prefer tabs when opening documents" is set to "Always" instead of the default option of "In Full Screen". You can of course still toggle between tabs and moving to new windows in the Window menu of Quicken, but this MacOS setting establishes the default behavior. Cheers!

Answers

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

I think tabs only work in Full Screen mode; I don't remember seeing a tabbed interface for reports anywhere else.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• Tyler Hill
    Tyler Hill Member ✭✭
    Options

No If you opened a report and clicked on a line for a detailed view it would open a new tab by default. This made it easy to drill down without losing focus on the mail report. That changed in this new version where clicking on a report for a detailed view opens a new window. The only way to get a tabbed report in this new version is to chose Window/Merge all Windows. Which adds an unnecessary and distracting step. This on the Mac version.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

I don't think the developers made any changes in this area of the program, unless something was unexpectedly broken. But I've never seen a drill-down report open in a tab rather than a window, except when in Full Screen mode, as @Jon said. (I don't use Full Screen mode often; in normal windows mode which I use all the time, I've never had a drill-down report open in a tab rather than a window.)

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • DLA2
    DLA2 Member ✭✭
    Options

Apologies for reviving a somewhat old thread, but I'm wondering if you found a solution as I have the same issue. Report detail used to open in tabs even when I was not in full screen mode. I know this to be true because I never use full screen mode and have been viewing detail in tabs as long as I've been using Quicken. Since migrating to a new Mac and updating software this week, report details open in new windows, which is annoying if I'm reviewing and drilling down on many items in a report. After two or three drill downs, my desktop is a complete mess. Only workaround I've found so far is to use the "Merge Windows" feature in the Window drop down menu as you described above.

• DLA2
    DLA2 Member ✭✭
    Options

Interesting observation. I migrated from an Intel MacBook to a new M3 MacBook with Apple silicon. I'm running Quicken Classic Version 7.6.1 on both machines. On the Intel MacBook, report detail opens in tabs within the same window by default with the option to move to new windows in the drop down menu. On the new M3 MacBook, reports open in new windows by default with the option to merge into one window. I have not found a way to set this preference in either Quicken software or the general settings on either Mac.

• DLA2
    DLA2 Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Well, I guess if I keep working at it, I'll solve my own problem ;) Turns out the default action in Quicken is controlled in general settings for MacOS. Go to Settings>Desktop & Dock and make sure the "Prefer tabs when opening documents" is set to "Always" instead of the default option of "In Full Screen". You can of course still toggle between tabs and moving to new windows in the Window menu of Quicken, but this MacOS setting establishes the default behavior. Cheers!

This discussion has been closed.