Bring Ouicken Mac Investments up to par with Quicken Windows

Options
Alena
Alena Member ✭✭
edited March 14 in Investing (Mac)

I've used Quicken Canada for Windows for 20 years to track my investments. Now I bought an Apple Mac laptop as the box is much better quality. What a rude awakening when I (just) converted the quicken file from Windows to Mac! My subscription expires August 2024 and unless Mac is up to par with Windows by then I will end my subscription.

This means that

a) I have the ability to assign multiple accounts in my Portfolio(s), like in the Windows version

b) I have the ability to use multiple pre-defined Portfolios and customize those, too, same as in the Windows version.

c) I can attach multiple Categories to a stock beyond just basic large/small/bond …, like in Windows

d) I have the ability to view my portfolio (with multiple accounts) by stock Category beyond just basic large/small/bond …, like in Windows

e) I have the ability to see day change in Market Value in $ and % for the whole portfolio (of multiple accounts)

f) I have the ability to go back in history of my portfolio(s) some 20 years back when I first started using Quicken, as well as the total change in Market Value acxross all my accounts. Come on, Quicken, how many investors have a single investment account?!

Note that with the improvements over time in my brokerage account at BMO Investorline, I now get better tools than what Quicken is offering me through this Mac version. So I have just reset my Automatic Quicken subscription renewal to NO. After 20 years of having been a loyal customer, I am disappointed with what you have done to the Mac version.

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

@Alena I just wrote a lengthy reply to your first post about Quicken Mac investing features, and now I see you've posted this one in addition. Please check out what I wrote there. I won't repeat things here to avoid having ongoing discussions in two separate threads, but let me quickly note the status of your bullet points here:

a) I have the ability to assign multiple accounts in my Portfolio(s), like in the Windows version

You can do this currently in Quicken Mac

b) I have the ability to use multiple pre-defined Portfolios and customize those, too, same as in the Windows version. 

You can't save custom portfolios; you must select the accounts you wish to view each time

c) I can attach multiple Categories to a stock beyond just basic large/small/bond …, like in Windows

If you mean a more varied group of asset classes, as can be customized in Quicken Windows, the developers have this feature request marked as "Planned" for implementation. If you mean assigning multiple criteria to investments, like sectors (healthcare, consumer discretionary, energy, industrials etc.), in addition to asset classes, I haven't seen this as a feature request on this forum, but perhaps it should be. As someone who has only used Quicken Mac for a very long time, can you describe whether the Windows version has a field for market sectors, or if you're looking for some other dimension of identifying securities?

d) I have the ability to view my portfolio (with multiple accounts) by stock Category beyond just basic large/small/bond …, like in Windows 

I'm unclear what "categories" you're referring to here; do you mean custom asset classes (e.g. mid-cap stock)? If so, this is what I referred to above that the developers have said they have planned to implement. Currently, you can view your portfolio, for one account, multiple selected accounts, or all accounts, by a variety of criteria — but asset classes are limited to the 7 default asset classes in Quicken Mac.

e) I have the ability to see day change in Market Value in $ and % for the whole portfolio (of multiple accounts) 

You can do this currently in Quicken Mac (in both the Portfolio screen and the Dashboard screen)

f) I have the ability to go back in history of my portfolio(s) some 20 years back when I first started using Quicken, as well as the total change in Market Value across all my accounts. Come on, Quicken, how many investors have a single investment account?!

You can do this currently in Quicken Mac (in both the Portfolio screen and the Dashboard screen)

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • JoelC
    JoelC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@jacobs agree with all your responses save one. In QWin I can see the change in market value in $ and % for the whole portfolio at one in my local currency. In QMac I can only do it by currency, CAD and USD separately. To me this is not a major issue but to others it may be.

• jacobs
    Options

@JoelC Yes, you're correct: because all my investments are in US dollars, I usually overlook Quicken Mac's current limitations in supporting multiple currencies unless a questions is specifically about that.

• JoelC
    JoelC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@jacobs I would rather have everything in 1 currency, would make my accounting / setup that much easier.

• Alena
    Alena Member ✭✭
    Options

@jacobs and @JoelC thanks for your detailed replies. I only discovered that there is the possibility to post here, i.e. suggest ideas. My first posting in the community was to vent my frustration when I realized how little Quicken has invested in replicating the flexibility I have in Quicken for Windows. It was also not easy to convert the file from the windows format to Mac, I spent hours with customer service who themselves were struggling.

That being said, I value greatly your detailed input @jacobs. I plan to spend time this week to see what I can get out of the Mac version. But I already know that there is no ability to assign a stock to categories. In software development this is a basic prerequisite for creating reports. I tweaked my Windows Quicken to give me reports by my preferred categories. I changed the some of the groups (Asset Class, Investment Goal) to my own codes, specifically in one case used Sectors instead (Finance, Real Estate, Financial Services, Real Estate, etc. - there is about 7 you can use). I wanted to see how stocks with different dividend % were doing so I created Div<1% Div<3% …. Div>6% and the software let me group my entire portfolio that way regardless what account they were in. I am managing some 10 different accounts, between me & hubby we have a joint Margin account, multiple RRSP accounts, multiple RIF accounts, and a couple of TFSA accounts. Often I hold the same stock in multiple accounts thus the reporting ability needs to go across accounts.

I see there is an attachment ability here. It is too late now here in Toronto, so I will see if I can attach a screen print for you of the Windows "Portfolio" screen to give you an idea about what I am talking about. It will take me a bit since of course I do not want to publish a screen print of my financial situation for the world to see :-) But if you have been using only Mac I think you should see what you have been missing that users of Quicken for Windows have been enjoying all these years at the same cost to them as you pay for this very limited reporting ability in Quicken Mac.

• JoelC
    JoelC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Alena, great to have a fellow Torontonian on the board.

I will help as much as I can noting I do understand what you are writing as I am using both QMac and QWin.

• jacobs
    Options

But I already know that there is no ability to assign a stock to categories. In software development this is a basic prerequisite for creating reports.

@Alena If I had a dollar for every feature a fellow user described as a "basic prerequisite", I'd be wealthy enough to not need to use Quicken to manage my finances! 🤣 But seriously, my point is that there are hundreds of features which users want to see, and many people see their top issue as a "basic" need. I've used Quicken for decades, and have never considered this a top priority for what I want to know about my investments in Quicken. But I could name few missing features I'd consider pretty basic and at the top of my wishlist. That doesn't mean you're wrong, or I'm wrong — it only illustrates that we all use Quicken differently, and have different expectations for what we want/need the software to do. And the small Quicken Mac development team has to sift through all these feature request to determine which ones get done in which order, because they can't tackle them all except over a prolonged period of time. Quicken Windows has about a two decade head start on feature development compared to the rewritten-from-scratch Quicken Mac, and has a larger development team because it has more users. I'm happy that Quicken Mac is improving and evolving over time, but I share the frustrations of most Quicken Mac users that new features aren't able to be implemented more quickly.

• rfullerton123
    Options

concur….i came from quicken windows at my office to Quicken for Mac as an old retired guy. I for one would like to know when and what will be added in the near future and what will not.

• JoelC
    JoelC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@rfullerton123 , as we all would BUT Quicken does not publish their development list order or timing. We find out about new features when teh updated version is released. That said, there have been seen significant steps over teh last few months.

As @jacobs and I have both written, it is a journey and we need to be patient.

• sux
    sux Member ✭✭
    Options

I've been waiting a long time for Quicken for Mac to give us the ability to custom assign categories. At least give us a "Tag" function for each security. It's a basic feature on Windows that I cannot fathom why it's still not avail on the Mac. That alone forces me to pay hundreds to use StockRover.

RE:

If you mean a more varied group of asset classes, as can be customized in Quicken Windows, the developers have this feature request marked as "Planned" for implementation. If you mean assigning multiple criteria to investments, like sectors (healthcare, consumer discretionary, energy, industrials etc.), in addition to asset classes, I haven't seen this as a feature request on this forum, but perhaps it should be. As someone who has only used Quicken Mac for a very long time, can you describe whether the Windows version has a field for market sectors, or if you're looking for some other dimension of identifying securities?

This discussion has been closed.