How can I include a register transaction but exclude it from the running balance?

Options

I created a category where I want to keep track of the balance in a separate report but don't want the amounts applied to the account register. Is that possible?

Best Answer

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Create a split transaction. Categorize the real amount as required, and balance it out with an equal negative amount categorized such that it won't appear in reports.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 6
    Options

Only by putting the number in the Memo field, but then it is text and not a number that can be added/totaled.

I have to wonder why? Please explain and maybe there is another way to get what you want.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Norman Drews
    Norman Drews Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I had purchased a home with a tenant in it with the expectation to sell it after a few months to an investor. The tenant decided to skip out on rent payment during the transition. It is a cost additional to the purchase price that I want to account for in a separate report.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Create a split transaction. Categorize the real amount as required, and balance it out with an equal negative amount categorized such that it won't appear in reports.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Norman Drews
    Norman Drews Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I like that idea. Thanks!