Data vanished. Replaced by account called cbogus checking

Options

Greetings all,

I doubt anyone can help, since I’m using an unsupported version, but I’ll try. My dad has been using a very old version of Quicken (he’s 100 and wouldn’t do any updates once he learned a long time ago). It does NOT connect to the internet—at least it’s not supposed to. It’s on a laptop. Maybe the laptop as been connected twice in 8 years, but because it has private info, my dad never had or used a wireless connection.

Two weeks ago, I was entering data for him, and everything was fine. Today I opened Quicken, and all accounts and years and years of data have vanished. There is one account only, called cbogus checking, with the amount of 1,000. Has anyone ever heard of this??? I’m totally baffled.

He’s in a retirement community, and the wireless is part of their VPN, to my knowledge.

We do have some backups, but I don’t know if they’ve been tainted by whatever it is, and of course I’m super-nervous about whatever it is because so much private data is on that laptop.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

PF

Comments

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Since it's a (presumably) very old version you should have no worries about restoring a backup. It will simply revert your file to the date of the backup.

Are you sure the correct file got opened? This sort of sounds like a test file or something from the time your dad maybe first got Quicken.

• PetiteFutee1
    Options

@Tom Young

Thank you so very much for your reply, and apologies for the delay responding due to a different sort of technical difficulty. You hit the nail on the head! I had been trying/testing a few things before restoring a backup. I kept thinking something didn't look quite right, but I couldn't put my finger on it. It was lurking in my subconscious…After reading your message, it was AHA! At the top of the screen it said Quicken - DATA. This was not the filename that had been there before. Sure enough, somehow the pointer (or whatever) got switched from the file he'd been using forever, to this file DATA, with the cbogus account. Once I found the right file, all of the accounts were there, just as I'd left them. WHEW! I'm not quite sure how it happened. The Exit menu option is precariously close to the list of filenames, so maybe it was an unnoticed slip of the mouse. I'm not going to worry about it. I'm just relieved that it wasn't nefarious activity.

Again, many thanks!

PF

This discussion has been closed.