New transactions are defaulting to last date entered instead of today's date. (Q Mac)

Options
ktscott
ktscott Member

I am using Quicken Classic Deluxe for Mac - Version 7.5.2 (Build 705.51955.100) and I'm running macOS 13.6.3.

Recently, my system no longer defaults to today's date. Either a recent update or some other anomaly now makes my new transactions default to last date entered. I want new transactions to default to today's date and apparently this can be set in preferences but I do not have a preferences setting (that I can find) to reset this. The same goes for Data as of date which is also defaulting to date last entered instead of today's date. How do I change this?

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

There is no preference/setting for the default date.

When you select an account inbox the left sidebar and create a new transaction in that register, it should default to today's date. If you change the date of that transaction to, say, February 1, and then create a new transaction in the same register, it all default to the same date (February 1) as the previous transaction. If you want to move around in dates, you can press + or - to advance or go back a day at a time, or press 't' to jump the date to today.

If you go to a different account register, the default date on a new transaction will again start as today's date.

Is that what you are seeing, or are you seeing something different? There is an occasional glitch a few people have reported where the default date for a new transaction s always some date in the past; if that's what you're experiencing, write back and we can delve into how to tory to get Quicken un-stuck from that date.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • ktscott
    ktscott Member
    Options

Hi Jacobs, yes I am (was) seeing something different. When I select an account inbox from the left sidebar, currently it is defaulting to yesterday's date - 2/9/24. This is both what displays in the Data as of box at the top and before just now is what new transactions were defaulting to. However, just now when I tested it, the Data as of box at the top is still defaulting to yesterday 2/9/24 but now new transactions are defaulting to today 2/10/24. That was not happening earlier today. Could it be that the internal clock is somehow off and it just recently switched to today vs. yesterday? Where does Quicken get it date/time stamp? From the computer it runs on, from its sync on the web, etc.?

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

Quicken gets its time and date information from macOS. It sounds silly, but try restarting your computer to see if that fixes anything.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • ktscott
    ktscott Member
    Options

I tried to restart and that did not solve the problem. Although new transactions are now defaulting to today's date, the Data as of date is still defaulting to yesterday. Funny thing is if I update Data as of date to today's date and then click on refresh arrow, it reverts back to yesterday's date again. Anything else I can try? Thanks.

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

Portfolio & dashboard screens (the ones with the "Data as of" date) on the weekends will default to using Friday's date (the last business day). Since those are for investment & retirement accounts they don't generally change over the weekend anyway.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• schwaggy
    schwaggy Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I have the exact issue. New entries default to whatever date my last entry was. This started a few versions back. Can we have this opened as a bug for review? Thanks.

Quicken Mac 7.5.2 macOS 14.3.1

• ktscott
    ktscott Member
    Options

Schwaggy, I agree this didn't used to be this way…. It happened with a recent update.

• schwaggy
    schwaggy Member ✭✭✭
    Options

What's the best way to get a bug opened for this? @Quicken Anja sorry for the tag, but a little guidance is appreciated here. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.