Migrating from Quicken Desktop to QuickBooks Online x2

Options
CandL
CandL Unconfirmed, Member

Let me say I am doing this for church… so I did not create the mess.

They have 15+ years of data in quicken and the bank needs us to move to QuickBooks online. (About 6 accounts, and they love to do split transactions.)

I see that quickbooks online (QBO for the cool kids I guess) will import a CSV file great. But Quicken doesn't have an export to CSV. So I tried export QIF … well that export just hung the program. And yes I know a QIF is not a CSV.

So, I printed a transaction list to a tab delimited file … a bit ugly but the data is there. I could read the file and create a nice CSV / XML / JSON record for each transaction. (also QXF .. yes github is my friend)

Then I read QBO only reads a 3 or 4 col CSV file, well that is not going to cut it… we would lose to much information. Oh I also seem to remember a 1000 line file size limit on the csv file so we are back to import_1.csv, import_2.csv ….

What is the best way to import all of this data?

Comments

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 13
    Options

We here on the Quicken forum aren't familiar with any flavor of Quickbooks. You need to ask your questions on the QB forum at:

https://quickbooks.intuit.com/learn-support/us-quickbooks-community/misc/03/community-us

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Here is the Quicken article on converting to QuickBooks
    https://www.quicken.com/support/convert-quicken-windows-data-quickbooks-data

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• cesla
    cesla Member
    edited February 13
    Options

Let me say I am doing this for church… so I did not create the mess.

They have 15+ years of data in quicken and the bank needs us to move to QuickBooks online. (About 6 accounts, and they love to do split transactions.)

I see that quickbooks online (QBO for the cool kids I guess) will import a CSV file great. But Quicken doesn't have an export to CSV. So I tried export QIF … well that export just hung the program. And yes I know a QIF is not a CSV.

So, I printed a transaction list to a tab delimited file … a bit ugly but the data is there. I could read the file and create a nice CSV / XML / JSON record for each transaction. (also QXF .. yes github is my friend)

Then I read QBO only reads a 3 or 4 col CSV file, well that is not going to cut it… we would lose to much information. Oh I also seem to remember a 1000 line file size limit on the csv file so we are back to import_1.csv, import_2.csv ….

What is the best way to import all of this data?

[Merged Post]

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 13
    Options

should probably go search for a Quickbooks forum - and ask over there -

Also - who is really taking care of this - and which dup posted topic should we follow vs delete ?

[Merged Post]

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 13
    Options

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

No one here is going to be able to give you all the details you need because the conversion described happens on the QuickBook side, and I don't think there is anyone here using it. On the other hand, I do believe someone mentioning that converting directly to the online version of QuickBooks isn't possible the conversion is for the Desktop QuickBooks. Past that, can QuickBooks Desktop then be converted to the online version? Don't know.

But the main reason I'm posting this is because you stated, "Quicken doesn't export CSV files". Yes, it does. It just isn't something you do from the File menu.

Probably the easiest way would be to select the All Transactions on the Account Bar and then click the gear menu, and just use the Export to Excel. If you need to do it for a given account, you can filter that before doing the Export. From there is a CSV file is required you can save in that format. If you don't have Excel or a program that can read it, another option is to select Ctrl+P, select to print, and then Export to: CSV file.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.