Quicken adding $$$ to my account balance

Options
Ltrip
Ltrip Member ✭✭

Recently I noticed that my account balance on my Schwab checking account was way too high!

I needed to reconclie the account. I don't reconcile every month.

My last reconcile was Oct 31. My reconciled balance was $10,627. I have a printed account statement that shows that and I marked it "OK" when I reconciled.

3 days ago, I started the reconcile for November. The screen showed opening balance of $30,627. Not right!

I checked all my account statements from January 2023 to October 2023. All paper statements said "OK" and the Quicken balance at the end of each month was $20k higher than the printed ending balance. So I figured it happened before Jan 2023.

I searched for unreconciled transactions looking for a rogue transaction. I found none.

I made a corrective transaction that removed $20k from the account balance. I proceeded to reconcile Nov, Dec, Jan. All good. I assumed the problem was corrected.

I closed the app. The next day I opened the app and another $20k had been added to the account balance. I went back and deleted the corrective transaction. Now my balance is $40k too high.

I don;t know where this is coming from and I don;t know how to find it.

Help !

Comments

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Have you looked at the Opening Balance in the Account, the entry made back when you first established the Quicken Schwab Account? Downloads have been know to change the dollar amount of that Opening Balance.

"I searched for unreconciled transactions looking for a rogue transaction. I found none."

The opening balance for a reconciliation is a calculated amount and it's based on all the reconciled transactions in the Account. If it's some rogue, reconciled, transaction is slipping in then I'd think a search (using the search field in the upper right hand corner) for that nice round $20K number would find it easily.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

As mentioned - sometimes the Opening Balance gets randomly changed by Quicken -

Suggest-
    copy the amount from the Opening Balance of each account into the MEMO field of that opening transaction for safe keeping

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Ltrip
    Ltrip Member ✭✭
    Options

Tom, thanks for the suggestion to lok at "opening balance" I did look at it. 5/31/19, so I can't recall what it should be! It does look $40k too high.

PS56k2 thanks for the suggestion to copy the opening balance into the memo filed. I did that.

I have been in and out of Quicken several times. I did a corrective $40k transaction. And the balance has not been phantomly adjusted. So far so good!!!

Thank you!

This discussion has been closed.