How can I make the "Current Budget" report show accurately?

Options
craigst
craigst Member
edited March 16 in Reports (Windows)

I just started using Quicken for Windows, but the "Current Budget" report is not accurate. When I budget $250 in a category, it shows correctly in the "Planning" tab. But when I view the "Current Budget" report it never shows correctly. In the example shown on the screenshot that shows both side-by-side, you can see that the report shows the budgeted amount as $137.93 (instead of $250) and the difference as $126.66 (instead of $238.73).

Interestingly, this error only occurs in the current month. Once the month is past it shows accurately and the new "current month" is inaccurate. The "Year-to-Date" section of the report is also inaccurate. How can I make this part of the "Current Budget" report show accurately?

Best Answer

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

If you run a Budget Report sometime in the month then the "Budget" amount shown is based on the "budget for the month" times a percentage as to how much time has passed in the month, or something close to it.

It's always been that way. Once the month is done you see the full month's budgeted amount vs. the full month's actual amount.

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

If you run a Budget Report sometime in the month then the "Budget" amount shown is based on the "budget for the month" times a percentage as to how much time has passed in the month, or something close to it.

It's always been that way. Once the month is done you see the full month's budgeted amount vs. the full month's actual amount.

• bmciance
    bmciance SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thats because your time period only goes to 2/16. If you choose the entire month it will show the full monthly budget amount.

• craigst
    craigst Member
    Options

That makes sense. Thank you for the helpful responses!

This discussion has been closed.