options prices are not updating

Options
iriddles
iriddles Member ✭✭
edited April 16 in Investing (Windows)

using the "UPDATE" button on the Investing page, I nightly update the prices of my investments. Since about last July, (after a Quicken update) my options prices stopped updating. I spent 3 1/2 hours on the phone with 3 different tech support guys to no avail. I finally realized that none of them knew what stock options were! (shame on Quicken) I have been tracking my stock options trades in Quicken for years (Quicken customer since 1999) and have had no problems until about last July. I have reported the problem several times a month, along with screenshots, using the "report a problem" in the help tab. There have been numerous updates, but no cure! My renewal date is 30 days away and I'm wondering why I should pay almost $100 for a service that doesn't work properly, doesn't understand the problem and doesn't seem to care! VERY FRUSTRATING!

Best Answer

• rxmarton
    rxmarton Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

I wish they would at least acknowledge the issue and indicate the are developing a work-around, but I think they are too busy deleting unfriendly posts.

Answers

• Quicken Jasmine
    Options

Hello @iriddles,

Could you please provide me with the ticket number(s) that were given to you during your interaction with Quicken Support? This is so that I may investigate further.

Thanks!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Quicken Jasmine if you search the Community for "stock option price" without the quotes, you will see several other discussions related to this issue in the same time frame. To be clear, this issue applies to option quotes downloaded from Quicken's quote provider, not from the FI where they are held.

Apparently these quote updates have worked sporadically for several years.

QWin Premier subscription
  • iriddles
    iriddles Member ✭✭
    edited February 26
    Options

Quicken Jasmine, I don't have info you ask for. that was 6 or 7 months ago and I deleted everything! Superuser Jim Harman, Thank you for your response! I suspected that to be the case.

• iriddles
    iriddles Member ✭✭
    Options

can anyone give details on the Excel process to update option prices that jaxgab mentioned Sept 2023?

• iriddles
    iriddles Member ✭✭
    edited February 26
    Options

[Removed - Disruptive]

• iriddles
    iriddles Member ✭✭
    edited February 26
    Options

[Removed - Disruptive]

• Quicken Jasmine
    Options

Hello @iriddles,

Would you mind providing more information? I took the time to review your interactions with Quicken Support. As stated by our agents, Quicken can find the ticker symbol but not with the contract name attached.

Also, while submitting a problem report provides the logs that our support agents will need to escalate, they cannot proceed with escalation unless they have you live on the phone or chat with them. Submitting a problem report without contacting support will only be used for tracking and investigative purposes when there is a widespread issue. As stated at the top of the problem report submission screen, you will not receive a direct response by submitting.

Please be aware that the Community forum is primarily user-to-user based with only a handful of us mods. Therefore, responses are not immediate.

Thanks!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• iriddles
    iriddles Member ✭✭
    Options

Ok…so if I own 100 shares of Starbucks Corp., ticker symbol SBUX, I sell 1 $95 covered call that expires on March 15, 2024, the contract name for that specific trade is SBUX 240315C00095000. That contract name is what I list as the ticker symbol when entering it in my Quicken software. That contract name is what the 3 tech support guys kept telling me was not the ticker symbol for Starbucks. I could not get them to understand that that transaction was not a stock trade, but a contract on the stock that I already owned. They had access to my screen. They saw all of my more that 20 options contracts listed, which were all actively traded at my financial institutions at the time. They could have looked on Yahoo Finance to find the contract name. As I said, I don't think they knew what options trading was! As a matter of fact, they got a little ugly with me, telling me I didn't know what I was talking about! I've been trading options and entering them in my Quicken software for more than 12 years without problems, UNTIL an update about 8 months ago. I am also aware that using "Report a Problem" does not illicit a response. I was only doing it at the request of those 3 tech guys. I'm not sure how I am supposed to know when those people are looking at my problem, and I suspect those people are not the people that I can talk to when I call support. They could call me if they had a question. I have not heard a word from Quicken until you responded to my post. Like I said, poor customer support. and I also don't think Quicken should delete my posts just because they are negative about Quicken!

• rxmarton
    rxmarton Member ✭✭
    Options

I manually enter my option trades into Quicken. I follow this format to input the option symbol (example for SPY Put 500 strike Apr 19 2024)

SPY 240419P0050000

The price is not being updated by Quicken.

Can someone at Quicken let me know if this is the proper way to manually input the symbol in order to obtain updated prices.

• iriddles
    iriddles Member ✭✭
    Options

I think it should be SPY 240419P00500000

• rxmarton
    rxmarton Member ✭✭
    Options

@iriddles
    Sorry, but that did not work.

• iriddles
    iriddles Member ✭✭
    Options

Unfortunately, the only way I can get Quicken to update option prices now is to set up web connect for my investment accounts. I really don't like that!

• rxmarton
    rxmarton Member ✭✭
    Options

I don't want to do the web connect thing either.

Can someone at Quicken help solve this riddle?

• QuickUserPSP
    QuickUserPSP Member, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

I think the reason why Web Connect works for updating prices for your options is that the option prices come from your FI that holds the options. That means that the option prices come though on the update file and not the pricing file from Quicken's vendor.

• rxmarton
    rxmarton Member ✭✭
    Options

Can Quicken confirm that the vendor that supplies its security pricing does not support option pricing. If it does provide option pricing what is the required format for the option to be named in our Quicken file so we can get similar updates of option prices as we do for stocks/etfs/mutual funds.

• rxmarton
    rxmarton Member ✭✭
    Options

@Quicken Jasmine
    Can you help with an answer to my question above (March 6th)?  

• JPG
    JPG Member ✭✭
    Options

I am having the same problem with options prices not updating. I have these options in an account which is not connected to a brokerage in order to track performance for different stock advisory services, so the prices need to be downloaded from Quicken's option price provide and not from a connected brokerage firm, e.g., TD Ameritrade.

The options prices used to update regularly (I have been using this non-connected account for over a year) until a Quicken update earlier this year, I think it would have been in the February time frame. Since they previously updated, I am using the correct and standard symbol methodology for the options, e.g. GOOG 240419P00125000, for the Google $125 Put expiring Apr 19 2024.

How can we get Quicken support to track down and fix this issue?

• iriddles
    iriddles Member ✭✭
    Options

good luck! I gave up after 6 months of trying. I don't think the current tech people are capable of finding and fixing the problem. They won't even admit there is a problem!

• rxmarton
    rxmarton Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

I wish they would at least acknowledge the issue and indicate the are developing a work-around, but I think they are too busy deleting unfriendly posts.

This discussion has been closed.