Can't Open File. I get "Quicken cannot open data file. A file does not exist"

Options

I have Quicken Classic for Mac Premier Version 7.5.2. MacOS 14.2.1.

It can't find recent files (globe keeps spinning) so I have to force quit. I click on the actual data file in my Documents folder and I get the same behavior. Also just re-installed Quicken but that didn't help.

I'm afraid to start over or use the Quiken Mobile or Web file.

HELP!

-Rod

Best Answer

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options

It sounds stupid, but have you tried restarting your Mac? That actually often resolves some really odd problems.

Net, try launching Quicken with the Shift key held down. It should pop up a dialog asking if you want to open the most-recently used data file. For now, click Cancel, and on the Let's Get Started screen which should follow, you can try selecting "Start from Scratch" to see if it will go ahead and create a new data file. Then, from File > Open Recent, if there are multiple file names which pop up, your most recently-used file should be the second one in the menu (below the test file you just created). If you select your regular data file, does it hang trying to open it again?

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options

It sounds stupid, but have you tried restarting your Mac? That actually often resolves some really odd problems.

Net, try launching Quicken with the Shift key held down. It should pop up a dialog asking if you want to open the most-recently used data file. For now, click Cancel, and on the Let's Get Started screen which should follow, you can try selecting "Start from Scratch" to see if it will go ahead and create a new data file. Then, from File > Open Recent, if there are multiple file names which pop up, your most recently-used file should be the second one in the menu (below the test file you just created). If you select your regular data file, does it hang trying to open it again?

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • rodbrent18
    rodbrent18 Member
    Options

I did restart. No change. I did hold down Shift key but got the same dialog before I could do anything. When trying 'Open Recent' it also just hung. I eventually was able to restore from a previous backup. I guess my main file was corrupted. Anyway - problem solved. Thanks.

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

Do you have your Quicken file stored on any cloud service (Dropbox, iCloud Drive, OneDrive, etc)? This includes the file being on the desktop or downloads folder with those folders enabled for sync in iCloud Drive.

If so, that can cause this kind of file corruption. It is highly recommended that you do not store your working file on any cloud service. You can, however, safely store backup files there.

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
This discussion has been closed.