What Happens to Cash Balances in Simple Investment Tracking Method?

Options
Stilicho
Stilicho Member ✭✭
edited March 17 in Investing (Windows)

I am analyzing an investment portfolio for a friend. It consists of ~15 accounts (brokerage, IRA, and Roth IRA) with ~100 securities (stocks, ETFs, and mutual funds). On 10-Feb-2024, I input the positions as of 31-Dec-2023, including cash balances in brokerage accounts. I am using Quicken's Simple Tracking method for all accounts and have not linked any of the accounts to the associated financial institutions.

Although I am not downloading transactions, I am updating the portfolio daily for changes in the prices of the securities. However, if I view the portfolio in the "Investing" window for any date after 10-Feb-2024, the cash balances no longer appear. The cash balance remains the same for any "as-of" viewing date from 31-Dec-2023 through 10-Feb-2024. Ideally, I would set it up so that cash balances remain the same as days go by, unless and until I update account(s) for an updated cash balance.

Any hints on how to do this?

I'm running Quicken Classic Business & Personal (R54.16) on Windows 11.

Comments

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

If you switch to Complete investing mode, you will see that the see that this is how it records the change in cash (I entered for 2/1/2024 and 2/17/2024):

So, unless you are updating the price everyday there isn't an entry for the days in between (or before).

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.