Bank of America US Trust Private Banking...Techs have not been able to solve.

Options

Tkt: 10804147

If you refer to the above Tkt Number you will see I have not been able to download data for the month of January. We have tried workarounds galore with support. This morning I disconnected the five accounts and tried to reconnect via BofA as there was no link to US Trust Private Banking. I realize this is webconnect. It relinked my BofA accounts but not US Trust. I then went to US Trust website and downloaded the proper file for the accounts. It then required me to relink to my accounts in Quicken. Which I did but once again the data for January did not download however, it did change the download setting to WebConnect. When I look at the qfx file downloaded this morning, it appears to have the data there. In comparison to other months there is slightly more data than previous months which makes sense. For some reason Quicken isn't importing the data. I've talked to BofA tech and they feel it is a Quicken issue. I have the most recent update of Quicken (which I believe I did in January). I've attached this morning's download file from US Trust website.

and am wondering if it is the issue.

Answers

• irish10085
    irish10085 Member
    Options

It's unfortunate I can't seem to get any assistance regarding this issue.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 22
    Options

Your problem is unclear to me. I can find no FI named US Trust.

The only thing I could find in the Windows version of FIDIR.TXT was Bank of America-Wealth Management. It only supports Web Connect. There is no mention at all of US Trust in the file. Have you looked inside the Mac version of the file?

10546 10546 10546 Bank of America-Wealth Management
    https://www.privatebank.bankofamerica.com/ (888) 566-1000 https://www.privatebank.bankofamerica.com/ ACTIVE INVESTMENT&WEB-CONNECT NOT_QBP NA

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• irish10085
    irish10085 Member
    Options

US Trust Private Bank is an arm of BofA. Yes it uses Web Connect. The qdf I downloaded,for January, from their web site, shows slightly more data than previous month but when it updates to my Quicken accounts, I get nothing. I had no issues with month of December. January downloaded but wherever there was a dividend transaction, the stock name was left blank. I deleted the data and tried again and got nothing. I feel the qdf has the information but quicken isn’t reading it.

• irish10085
    irish10085 Member
    Options

I’ve downloaded from the web site for years with no issues.

• QuickUserPSP
    QuickUserPSP Member, Windows Beta Beta
    edited February 22
    Options

@irish10085 - when you upload a transaction and then delete it, it won't upload again. It seems like Quicken doesn't know you deleted the transaction. If you deleted the transactions for January, the redownloaded transactions will not upload to Quicken. The only option would be to enter the transactions to Quicken manually.

• irish10085
    irish10085 Member
    Options

Brilliant. Too bad we weren’t advised of this by Quicken tech support when I approached them with the problem. A rather stupid feature if the download has errors.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I deleted the data and tried again and got nothing.

That is to be expected. Quicken records the unique Ids for the transactions in the account and if it sees the same unique Id again it will ignore it.

If you have a QFX file and you want to force it to import the transactions again into the same account, edit the QFX file with a text editor like Notepad and change each of the FITID entries. You can just add something to the end like an "a".

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • irish10085
    irish10085 Member
    Options

you are a tad beyond my computer savvy.

• QuickUserPSP
    Options

@Chris_QPW do you know if there are instructions to do this? I think @irish10085 isn't the only one that has come accross this issue.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I know of no instructions to do this. Quicken Inc is certainly not going to tell you how to do it.

But here are some more specific instructions:

Click Start and type in Notepad and click on it to open it.

Select File → Open.

Select the "Text documents (*.txt)" and select All files (*.*), now browse to where your QFX file is.

Select it and select Open:

Type Ctrl+F, and then FITID and then Enter.

This is how you find the transaction(s) you are interested in. Add "a" to the end:

After you have made the changes to the transactions save (Ctrl+S) and close and now you can import that QFX file into Quicken.

Note that because the program reading this file there might not be any carriage returns and so it might look more like this (also the one above is for a credit card account and the one below is for an investment account):

But maybe a better approach to this problem for people that aren't good with editors would be just to deactivate the account for downloading, then import the QFX file this time letting Quicken create another account. It will put all the transactions in that account because the check for the unique Ids is per account, and this is a new account that you haven't imported the transactions into. From there you can move the transactions from the account to where you want them. You would select the gear icon in the "From" investment account and then Move Transactions.

Once you are done with that you can delete the temporary account and the next time you import the QFX file you can link it back to the correct account.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • QuickUserPSP
    Options

@Chris_QPW thank you for taking the time to create this tutorial. Yes, your "better approach" would be simpler, but there might be some cleanup involved depending on how the user enters their transactions in Quicken.

But there is another approach you didn't mention. If the FI has CSV files available for download, the user then can reformat the CSV files to QFX (or QIF) and then import transactions. They would need a converter program such as the one you created, or one available commercially. But of course, I am not going to make you recreate a tutorial here. Just wanted to mention the possibility.

• irish10085
    irish10085 Member
    Options

I use a iMac. This is frustrating since the original download I did had errors which I feel was an issue with Quicken reading the data. Might have been due to the January software update. The name field of the stock which issued the dividend was blank. In hindsight, I wish I just gone back to the website and entered the stock name manually. Had I known you can "only download once", it's exactly what I would have done. Also disturbing that the quicken techs I spoke with, didn't tell me about the "only once download" and just blamed it on the banking institution. At this point, I'm going to see what happens when I download February data and see if it happens again. Hopefully, they will have an account correction value/dollar number when I balance the accounts.

This discussion has been closed.