How to link Invoices with Payments and export all data (edit)

Options

when collecting a payment the payment shows in the invoices window but doesn't hit the bank. I have a ticket but they haven't gotten back to me in quite a while. I am thinking I am just going to write my own accounting thing. to do so, I need the data out of my old quicken. I have about 33000 lines of transactions when I export the customer invoices to excel. the thing is, I don't see anyway that the invoices are linked to the payments and I would need to match them up for this to work. I assume the answer is in the qdf file but that is not readable. As of this month, it has started disconnecting payments from invoices creating new unpaid invoices that were previously noted as paid. this is making things impossible. Anyone have any advice on how to get all the data out of quicken in a readable format? particularly how to see the links between invoice and payment. support says there isn't a way. I am hoping there is. it would save me a fair bit of manual labour and random guessing.

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Exporting as a QIF will probably be your best bet (but I suspect that invoices aren't part of that data). Exporting some kind of report, might be there too, but I don't use the business version, so I don't know.

I'm wondering about this statement, but certainly don't know the answer since I don't use the business edition.

when collecting a payment the payment shows in the invoices window but doesn't hit the bank.

I'm wondering if the invoice just is like a reminder and as such might post "when due", but then has to later match to the actual transaction/payment.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • brent roberts
    Options

double entry accounting in business. payment reduces invoices, increases bank

• brent roberts
    Options

but quicken hasn't been increasing bank…puts in the name of the company the invoice was to but shows zero dollars

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks, for the information. Definitely sounds like a bug. Is this a new problem?

Signature:
  • brent roberts
    Options

seems to have been on going for about 8 months… I didn't look until taxes were coming due and noticed it then

• brent roberts
    Options

I have a ticket but it has been elevated a couple tiers and haven't heard anything. If I can link the payments to the invoices, I can write my own much simpler program

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Note to SuperUsers that are using the business function. I noticed right away that this problem was posted in a US thread, not the Canadian one, but purposely didn't ask the moderators to move it to the Canadian one because I think it is really important to get both the US and Canadian feedback to determine if this problem is only in the Canadian version or in both. Flagging @Arctic Hare I don't know if you use the business version or not, but you are the only SuperUser I know using the Canadian version so I wanted to make sure you are aware of this post which is currently in a US thread you might not monitor.

Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I was just looking at the QIF format on here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quicken_Interchange_Format

And I see that there is a section for invoices, so maybe there is something in there useful to you.

Signature:
  • brent roberts
    Options

I can't find anything we can print out that shows how the invoices and payments are linked by quicken - I assume its in the qdf but I can't look there…and it seems to be degrading over the last month (connections between exisiting invoices and payments are disappearing for the last month)

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

when collecting a payment the payment shows in the invoices window but doesn't hit the bank. 

just following along - what does this mean ? …. but doesn't hit the bank. 

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• brent roberts
    Options

when an invoice is paid, invoices account should be reduced and bank should be increased in quicken. in this case invoices get reduced but bank gets the name of the client but zero dollars are posted so it does not increase

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 20
    Options

so just to clarify -
    your "bank" usage is just a name for your Quicken banking account - like a biz checking acct - and not a real bank deposit activity

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• brent roberts
    Options

yes, it is just a quicken account. quicken does not have access to anything in the real world. It would not have access to the internet at all but it won't run if you cut it off. first thing it does is phone home.

• brent roberts
    Options

I have decided I think I would prefer to write my own accounting software that works how I want it to work. to that end I have 25 years worth of data I would like to import. the first problem I see is I can't tell how it knows which payment covers which invoice. not such a big deal for bills I pay (though it still would be nice to match things up) but a reasonably large deal for payments to me for invoices I have sent to customers. I have all the records on paper I think but there are 10's of thousands of transactions. I doubt I will live so long as to see that through. If that piece of information is unattainable, I will write something that sorts all the invoices and payments by customer and the searches for like amounts on each side and applies them. this will only really be important for the 2023 tax year as the rest is the past and I don't really have to care about that. close is probably close enough for canada and those taxes were done before this thing tanked. I am going to try to go through all the available reports to see if anything relates payments to invoices though support tells me no such report exists. Ideally they can tell me how stuff in the qdf is encrypted or give me an unencrypted version of my data.

This discussion has been closed.