Report to see the transaction date and date acquired for security

Options
Photohex
Photohex Member
edited March 24 in Investing (Windows)

Does anyone know how I create a report to see the transaction date and date acquired for security (I have made many purchases) to correct lot dates?

Tagged:

Answers

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Reports > Investing > Investment Transactions

Then customize the report Actions to only show Bought, BoughtX, Added, and Reinv* transactions for the securities of interest.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Or make an Investing > Portfolio view that includes the security and the account where it is held. Group the view by Accounts, then click on the plus sign next to the problem security to view the lots that Quicken thinks you currently hold. You can change to As of date to see your holdings as of other dates.

Go to File > Print Portfolio or click on the Export button to print or export.

QWin Premier subscription
  • Photohex
    Photohex Member
    Options

Rocket J Squirrel

The Investment report only shows the transaction date and does not show the date acquired (which it looks like Quicken is using as the Lot date). The terms/data definitions used in the reporting don't match the terms/data definitions in the Edit Add - Shares added window, making this a little challenging.😞

I appreciate your help!

• Photohex
    Photohex Member
    Options

Jim_Harman.

Yes, that shows the Lot date (which I believe is the same as the date acquired), but the transaction date is not shown for me to find some typo. 😔

I appreciate your help!

• QuickUserPSP
    QuickUserPSP Member, Windows Beta Beta
    edited February 22
    Options

@Photohex I think the acquisition and transaction dates are usually the same. The only time they can be different is if you do a "Add Shares" transaction and enter an acquisition date different than the transaction date. So, if you are looking for any differences between transaction and acquisition dates, or specifically just acquisition dates, all you would need to do is run a transaction report showing just the "Added" transactions. To do this just go to the "Actions" tab and "deselect all" and then only select "Added".

Then to check the Acquistion Dates, you would need to click on each transaction. Hopefully there won't be many Add Transactions.

• Jim_Harman
    Options

Another place you can look is the Security Detail View for the security. That will show the transaction dates for all accounts, which will also be the Lot dates for Bought or ReinvDiv transactions but not necessarily for Added.

You can click in Security Report on that page to see an Investing Transaction report that is filtered to show just transactions for that security. To see the Lot/acquisition dates for Added transactions, you must review the actual transaction.

• Photohex
    Photohex Member
    Options

I addressed the issue by reviewing each "add Shares" transaction (over 400). I had to add the transactions because the financial institution does not offer an interface to import transactions, and the institution was linked to my employer.

I appreciate your help!!

• Jim_Harman
    edited February 22
    Options

Wow, that is a lot of Adds.

Normally even if you are entering transactions manually you would record transfers of cash from your paycheck and any employer matches, then enter Buy transactions to acquire the securities, which will use up the cash.

Note that if this is a 401(k) or similar account, unless you are interested in tracking the detailed historical performance, the lot information including cost basis and acquisition dates are not actually very important, because when you start taking money out of the account, you are taxed on the full amount distributed, not the capital gain as in a taxable account.

• Photohex
    Photohex Member
    Options

The long and short (an this is the short of it 😂) of it is the data entry process comes to tedious due to various factors so I just "added" the share in. I wanted to clean up the data to be able to see it correct value of each lot.

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.