In Canada, How do I opt out of Quicken One Step Update and return to direct contact with my TD Bank?

Options

I have used Quicken for many years with no serious problems. I have a desktop PC using Windows 11, and I deal with TD Canada Trust in Canada. Problems sometime in the last month arose when Quicken invited me to switch to using Quicken as an intermediary, using their OneStep Update rather than downloading directly from TD Bank as in the past. The Account balances are greatly in error. I've tried to deactivate and then reactivate. I've tried to delete an account and then set it up again. The problems get worse the more I attempt to correct matters. I WANT TO OPT OUT OF USING QUICKEN'S ONE STEP UPDATE AND RETURN TO DIRECT DOWNLOADS FROM THE TD BANK. HOW DO I DO THIS? Thanks Sam (Calgary, Alberta, Canada)

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Manually downloading a transactions file from the bank website and then importing it into Quicken is the Web Connect (WC) connection method.

One Step Update (OSU) is not a connection method. It is simply a tool for downloading transactions for one or more accounts at one time with one of 3 different connection methods: Direct Connect (DC), Express Web Connect (EWC), Express Web Connect+ (EWC+). With this process, Quicken initiates and completes the download process so you do not need to download one account at a time or you do not need to use the WC method. It sounds like to me that you upgraded the WC connection method you had been using to one of these 3 other connection methods.

Sometimes (not usually) when changing the connection method Quicken will change the Opening Balance dollar amount, will enter some duplicate transactions and/or will add (not very often) a 2nd Opening Balance transaction. If this happens the solution is to correct the Opening Balance transaction dollar amount, delete one of each of the duplicate transactions that are found (will usually show up within the last 90 days) and delete any 2nd Opening Balance transaction. If you have entered Account Balancing transactions to fix these issues, you will also need to delete those Account Balancing transactions. Once these actions have been completed, the account in question should be back in balance. Also, note that this issue only occurs when the new connection method is initially established.

If what you want to do is to stop Quicken from downloading transactions for you and go back to using the WC download connection method:

1. Backup your data file.
    2. Go to: Tools > Account List > select one of the Accounts to make this change with > Edit button > Online Services tab > Deactivate.
    3. Repeat #2 for each Account you want to revert to the WC download connection method.
    4. Log into your online TD Bank account. Download the transactions in .QFX (or "Web Connect" or "Quicken") file format….make sure to select a date range that will not overlap with what is already Quicken to avoid the risk of duplicate transactions. Import that downloaded file into Quicken and, if prompted, make sure to link the imported data to the account that is already established in Quicken.
    5. Repeat #4 for each TD Bank account you want set up with WC, again.

This completes the process. Let me know if you have any questions or run into any issues.

BTW, for future reference: Deleting an account when it is not working the way you want it to is usually not a good idea, if for no other reason than you risk losing some historical data permanently. Also, if there were any transfer transactions between that account and other accounts, it can mess up the transaction records and balances in those other accounts. In most cases, account issues are fixable without going to that extreme. And you can get a lot of expert help to resolve account and/or Quicken issue in this Community forum.

Quicken Classic Premier (US) Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Answer ✓
    Options

Manually downloading a transactions file from the bank website and then importing it into Quicken is the Web Connect (WC) connection method.

One Step Update (OSU) is not a connection method. It is simply a tool for downloading transactions for one or more accounts at one time with one of 3 different connection methods: Direct Connect (DC), Express Web Connect (EWC), Express Web Connect+ (EWC+). With this process, Quicken initiates and completes the download process so you do not need to download one account at a time or you do not need to use the WC method. It sounds like to me that you upgraded the WC connection method you had been using to one of these 3 other connection methods.

Sometimes (not usually) when changing the connection method Quicken will change the Opening Balance dollar amount, will enter some duplicate transactions and/or will add (not very often) a 2nd Opening Balance transaction. If this happens the solution is to correct the Opening Balance transaction dollar amount, delete one of each of the duplicate transactions that are found (will usually show up within the last 90 days) and delete any 2nd Opening Balance transaction. If you have entered Account Balancing transactions to fix these issues, you will also need to delete those Account Balancing transactions. Once these actions have been completed, the account in question should be back in balance. Also, note that this issue only occurs when the new connection method is initially established.

If what you want to do is to stop Quicken from downloading transactions for you and go back to using the WC download connection method:

1. Backup your data file.
    2. Go to: Tools > Account List > select one of the Accounts to make this change with > Edit button > Online Services tab > Deactivate.
    3. Repeat #2 for each Account you want to revert to the WC download connection method.
    4. Log into your online TD Bank account. Download the transactions in .QFX (or "Web Connect" or "Quicken") file format….make sure to select a date range that will not overlap with what is already Quicken to avoid the risk of duplicate transactions. Import that downloaded file into Quicken and, if prompted, make sure to link the imported data to the account that is already established in Quicken.
    5. Repeat #4 for each TD Bank account you want set up with WC, again.

This completes the process. Let me know if you have any questions or run into any issues.

BTW, for future reference: Deleting an account when it is not working the way you want it to is usually not a good idea, if for no other reason than you risk losing some historical data permanently. Also, if there were any transfer transactions between that account and other accounts, it can mess up the transaction records and balances in those other accounts. In most cases, account issues are fixable without going to that extreme. And you can get a lot of expert help to resolve account and/or Quicken issue in this Community forum.

• saylesworth
    saylesworth Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks for the guidance. I did revert to WC Downloads for all accounts, as the Quicken OneStepUpdate caused me many errors, which I had to adjust manually. The OneStep process was less time consuming, but it does not seem to be working correctly

• Boatnmaniac
    Options

You are welcome. I am glad you were able to successfully revert to WC.

This discussion has been closed.