checking transactions re-appear

poseyjr145
poseyjr145 Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭

In QMac - Deleted transactions months ago, These transactions showed up again after restarting the machine. This happened when i first setup Qmac also. To fix it then, i did a backup and then restored the data, that seemed to fix it. This is months later, and now my register is completely messed up.. Is this a known issue?

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs Quicken Mac Subscription SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta

Is this a known issue?

I've never heard this reported. But perhaps one of the moderators can say if they have any knowledge of this issue.

I can think of only three things which could account for previously-deleted transactions to suddenly re-appear. You said it was after a computer restart, and sometimes that could cause Quicken to not know the most-recently used data file, and can result in opening another, older copy of the data file. You may want to look to see if you have only a single .quicken data file.

Another culprit sometimes turns out to be syncing with Quicken Cloud. When things work correctly, data can be entered/edited in either your desktop file or its associated cloud file, and they should update each other to maintain only the latest entries/edits. But due to either problems with the code and/or user error, there are many reports of more recent data being overwritten by older Quicken cloud data. If you do have sync turns on, it's important to use the Accounts > Sync to Mobile function before quitting Quicken to force it to update the cloud data. If you don't actively use the mobile app or web interface, I strongly suggest going to Settings > Mobile, Web & Alerts and turning Sync to Off; then go to Settings > Connected Services and click the button to Reset Quicken Cloud. This will insure that no transactions are being stored in Quicken Cloud, so there can't be data overwritten.

The third possible culprit: your financial institution. Every transaction you download has a unique number — the Financial Institution Transaction Identification (FITID) — created and assigned by the bank. Quicken Mac keeps a list of every FITID it has ever downloaded; deleting transactions from your register doesn't remove the FITID number from the database. This is how, when you next download transactions, Quicken imports the ones with new FITID numbers and rejects the ones with existing FITID numbers. Without this system, every time you download transactions, any transactions you previously downloaded would download again and re-populate your register.

So how can this go wrong? If your financial institution makes a mistake, doesn't preserve the FITID numbers it originally assigned to each transaction, and generates new FITID numbers, then when the transactions download into Quicken, Quicken sees them as new transactions. Or, if you switch between different connection methods for your financial institution — such as changing from Direct Connect to Quicken Connect — the financial institution may assign FITID numbers differently, so all the transactions look new to Quicken, resulting in duplicate transactions.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.