How to stop splitting transactions

Options
rainie17
rainie17 Member ✭✭

A couple of months ago, Quicken started splitting transactions from certain merchants. The main one would be Amazon. I am using Version 7.5.2 (Build 705.51955.100) macOS 14.2.1. I have been using Quicken for decades and have never once split a transaction and I can understand some people may like this feature but I hate it, because I now have to manually fix every transaction. I have tried every suggestion google offers and I have contacted support thrice. Nothing will stop this from happening and although it sounds silly in the scheme of things, I am at my wit's end… I have noticed that Amazon is split with $1,000. I searched my transactions, and I have never had a transaction with Amazon for $1,000.00. The fixes I have been offered are to create a rule in Window, Payees & Rules. I created a rule for Amazon with the category "shopping", yet it continues to split whatever the correct amount is with $1,000 between "shopping" and uncategorized. Does anyone have a suggestion before I dump Quicken and find an alternative? There's got to be an alternative…

Best Answer

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options

@rainie17 Whenever I read something like this, my suspicion turns to a cloud sync problem. Do you use the mobile app or web interface? Can you go to Settings > Mobile, Web & Alters and see if the Sync button is on or off? If it's on, try turning it off, and then go to Settings > Connected Services and click the cloud Reset button.

Downloaded transacitons don't have any split information; the concept doesn't even exist in the OFX standard used for downloading transaction data. So the spits are being created inside Quicken. That can happen in Quicken Cloud and in your local data file. Turning off syncing and wiping out the existing cloud data will remove the cloud as a possible source of applying splits to a downloaded transaction. If you don't have any local QuickFill rules, I can't think of a way that splits will be auto-created.

Please post back after your next download to report on what happens after removing Quicken cloud from the equation.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• qknbeta
    qknbeta Member ✭✭
    Options

It sounds like rather than the need to create a QuickFill rule, one may already exist for Amazon that is causing the split transaction to appear for new downloads. This could happen if you have automatic rule creation. Go to menu Quicken > Settings. In the Register tab, make sure the box to automatically create QuickFill rules is not checked.

Then in Payees & Rules > QuickFill Rules, do a search for Amazon and delete any existing rules.

If this isn't the problem (there isn't an existing Amazon QuickFill rule), then I'm not sure what could be causing this.

• rainie17
    rainie17 Member ✭✭
    Options

Thank you for the reply. That box is not checked. The only rule for Amazon is to save with the single category "shopping". (Same with the other merchants this happens to like Home Depot, Lowe's, credit card payments, etc.) The rules have been created and deleted multiple times per the advice of support. These splits occur whether there is a rule or not.

• jacobs
    Answer ✓
    Options

@rainie17 Whenever I read something like this, my suspicion turns to a cloud sync problem. Do you use the mobile app or web interface? Can you go to Settings > Mobile, Web & Alters and see if the Sync button is on or off? If it's on, try turning it off, and then go to Settings > Connected Services and click the cloud Reset button.

Downloaded transacitons don't have any split information; the concept doesn't even exist in the OFX standard used for downloading transaction data. So the spits are being created inside Quicken. That can happen in Quicken Cloud and in your local data file. Turning off syncing and wiping out the existing cloud data will remove the cloud as a possible source of applying splits to a downloaded transaction. If you don't have any local QuickFill rules, I can't think of a way that splits will be auto-created.

Please post back after your next download to report on what happens after removing Quicken cloud from the equation.

• rainie17
    rainie17 Member ✭✭
    Options

Hi @jacobs thank you for the reply and making a suggestion I hadn't gotten yet. I don't use the mobile app nor web interface. The sync button is toggled off, and as far as I know, has never been on since I don't use mobile app or web. I went ahead and reset the cloud like suggested, so maybe that will do it… we shall see tomorrow. Thank you again for having me take a look at something new.

• rainie17
    rainie17 Member ✭✭
    Options

@jacobs I wanted to let you know that your suggestion was the solution to my problem. I can't thank you enough.

• jacobs
    Options

@rainie17 Thanks for taking the time to post back that your problem is sucessfully resolved. Yay! It's helpful to know turning off cloud syncing and clearing off your existing cloud file resolved the problem.

This discussion has been closed.