Month to date total spending on all credit card accounts

Options
santoshamb
santoshamb Member
edited March 30 in Reports (Mac)

Hello,

Is it possible to see the total spending on all credit card accounts (or a breakdown by credit card account) from the beginning of the current month to the current date? I would like to use this to understand how much I have spend on credit cards in the current month. I'd like to be able to re-run the report each day and have it update with recent spending.

Thank you,

Ben

Best Answer

Answers

• QuickUserPSP
    QuickUserPSP Member, Windows Beta Beta
    edited February 28
    Options

[Deleted by QuickUserPSP - incorrect Quicken version noted]

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited February 28
    Options

Quicken Mac doesn't have a Banking -> Transaction menu. But you can edit most reports to include only the accounts you want. For example, if you want your credit card spending broken down by Category, run a Transactions By Category report, then click on the Edit button and on the Accounts tab select the "Selected Accounts" option. You can the select only your credit card accounts, and only transactions from those accounts will be shown. If you want spending broken down by credit card account, run the Transactions By Account report instead, and edit it the same way.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• QuickUserPSP
    Options

@Jon and @santoshamb My apologies - I didn't notice that the question was for Quicken Mac.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

If I correctly understand what you're asking for, this should be easy to create.

• Go to Reports
    • Click New
    • Click Summary
    • Select Row=Category and Column=Account
    • Click Continue to Customize
    • For Date Range, select Month to Date
    • Click on the Accounts tab
    • Click the radio button for Selected accounts
    • Click Clear All
    • Scroll to find the Credit Card group heading, and check that box
    • Click OK

The resulting report will show categories going down, and each credit card account in its own column — with a total for each credit card at the bottom of each column.

If you don't care about all the category detail, click View > Collapse All and you'll have a simple one-line report with the total spending per account, month-to-date.

Click the red close button on the report window, and choose Save as a new custom report, name it, and click Save. Now you can re-generate this report at any time by selecting it from Reports > My Reports or Reports > Recently Opened.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

Another quick way to get this data is to click the Credit Cards group register in the sidebar. Then set the All Dates filter at the to to Month to Date. Look at the upper right corner and you'll see the number of items and their total (assuming you don't have a transaction selected). If you have transaction selected, then just Select All (menu Edit > Select All or Command-A on the keyboard). 

This will give you spending net of payments and credits. If you want just spending, set the Any Type filter to Spending.

Yet another way is in the same group register, click the Spending tab at the top and change the date filter to Month to Date. This will show you the total credit card month to date spending and a pie chart broken down by category. You can click the categories to see just the transactions/total in that category.

Note that neither of these will break it down by individual card, so a saved report may better suit your needs if this is what you want.

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • santoshamb
    santoshamb Member
    Options

Hello,

Thanks everyone for your replies! I'm sorry I am new to Quicken and I was confused about what version I'm using. I'm not using Quicken for Mac. I have a Mac, but I'm using Quicken through the web browser (e.g. at app.simplifimoney.com). I looked at all of the suggestions and these features don't seem to be available to me. Is it possible to get a month-to-current-date summary of all credit card spending using the web application? Or do I need to upgrade to a different version?

• QuickUserPSP
    Answer ✓
    Options

@santoshamb it looks like you are using Simplifi which is another Quicken product. Their community forum can be found here

https://community.simplifimoney.com/

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

@santoshamb Quicken Simplifi (web-only) and Quicken Classic (desktop based software) are two different products. I don't think you can "update" from Simplifi to Classic.

Unfortunately most of us here who have used Quicken Classic for many years know little to nothing about what can be done and how to do it in Simplifi, so you'll need to reach out to users in that community forum.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • QuickUserPSP
    edited February 29
    Options

@santoshamb I would first reach out the Simplifi Community form before making any decision to upgrade. Keep in mind that moving from Simplifi to Quicken is not an upgrade per se. You would be purchasing a new product and thus end up with two active subscriptions, unless you are able return Simplifi if you recently purchased it within the trial period.

• santoshamb
    santoshamb Member
    Options

Thank everyone, I will check with the Simplifi community. If I switch over to Quicken for Mac this information will be really helpful!

This discussion has been closed.