Where does Quicken get the start date for reports?

Options
Donnette
Donnette Member ✭✭
edited April 4 in Reports (Mac)

I've created a new Quicken file. When I create a report and select "All Dates", it puts the start date back to Jan 1, 2020. I tried doing a report that selected everything with a date between 2020 and 2022, all other settings set to select anything … and nothing shows up in this report. If there are no transaction with a 2020 date, why are the reports defaulting to start in 2020 when I select All Dates.

Best Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options

What type of report are you doing?

Try clicking on All Transactions in the left sidebar. Scroll back to see what the oldest transaction is in your data file.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited March 2 Answer ✓
    Options

@Donnette One limitation of the All Transactions register is it will only show transactions that are all in the same currency. Your All Transactions screenshot shows that you were looking at Canadian $ transactions. Do you have any accounts in other currencies (like US dollars, for instance) - if you click on the "All CAD Accounts" pulldown are there any other options for "All xxx Accounts"? If so, what's the oldest transaction in those accounts?

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

Answers

• jacobs
    Answer ✓
    Options

What type of report are you doing?

Try clicking on All Transactions in the left sidebar. Scroll back to see what the oldest transaction is in your data file.

• Donnette
    Donnette Member ✭✭
    Options

I do not see an All Transactions in the left sidebar. But I did find where I can get reports of All Transactions by Category, and by Tag, etc. I looked at all of them and the oldest date in any of my accounts is 2023.

I've have a number of reports I've created to show me things such as all my Utilities etc. For all reports, when I choose to Edit Report, and select Date Rate of All Dates it automatically starts at 1/1/2020. It isn't making any difference to the accuracy of the report, but it just doesn't make sense to me. It's clearly not getting the 2020 date for any transaction because I've looked at each account and the oldest date is 2023.

• Jon
    Options

@Donnette All Transactions is at the top of the side bar. If you have the sidebar collapsed you won't see it & will need to click on the Expand Sidebar button at the top.

• jacobs
    Options

@Donnette I just created a test file and entered one transaction on 2/1/24. I then created a transaction report set to All Dates, and the date range at the top right shows 2/1/24 to 3/1/24 — the date of the oldest transaction to today's date.

What types of accounts do you have? Cash/checking? Credit card? Investing? Loans? I'm still thinking you must have something like a $0 opening balance transaction dated 1/1/2020 for you to be seeing this when you select All Dates in your report.

• Donnette
    Donnette Member ✭✭
    Options

I learned something new with the "All Transactions". Thank you !

I used it and below is a screenshot of the results …. it shows that the oldest transaction is 2023-02-06. I also have a couple of USD accounts and I repeated this check for them also, and the oldest date is again in 2023.

• Donnette
    Donnette Member ✭✭
    Options

I didn't answer your question about type of accounts. I have a lot of accounts, under the following sections:

Cash, Savings, Credit Cards, Property & Debt

• Jon
    edited March 2 Answer ✓
    Options

@Donnette One limitation of the All Transactions register is it will only show transactions that are all in the same currency. Your All Transactions screenshot shows that you were looking at Canadian $ transactions. Do you have any accounts in other currencies (like US dollars, for instance) - if you click on the "All CAD Accounts" pulldown are there any other options for "All xxx Accounts"? If so, what's the oldest transaction in those accounts?

• Donnette
    Donnette Member ✭✭
    Options

Thank you for you help !! … you have identified the problem. One of my US$ accounts I must have typed the Opening Balance date wrong because it had 2020-01-01 and I had intended it to be 2024-01-01. I fixed it, and now when I select "All Dates" in my reports, it starts with the 2023 date I expected. I appreciate learning about the "All Transactions" view that I had never thought to try before.

This discussion has been closed.