CC-800 Error everyday more and more accounts are having this issue

Options

I'm having issues with CC-800 error happening on my accounts. I have not deleted accounts nor restored from a backup. And restoring from a backup should not cause this type of error, where the support solution is delete and re-add accounts.

Quicken needs to fix this.

Answers

• owl1161
    owl1161 Member ✭✭
    Options

I should add that it started with 2 accounts, next One Step Update adding 2 more accounts, and my last One Step Update added yet 2 more accounts. That is 6 accounts that now have a problem.

• QuickUserPSP
    QuickUserPSP Member, Windows Beta Beta
    edited March 1
    Options

@owl1161 - sometimes fixing these CC-800 errors is like a game of "Whack-A-Mole". I have found a way to get a "more permanent" fix for these errors.

1. Open your Account List. Check "Show hidden accounts". Scan closed and hidden account and unhide any that have a connection method under the column "Transaction Download".
    2. Uncheck "Show hidden accounts". Deactivate ALL accounts with EWC and EWC+ connection methods by clicking the "Edit" button and going to the "Online Services" tab. Deactivate only. Do not change or delete any information on the "General" tab.
    3. After all of the accounts have been deactivated, reactivate the accounts one by one. Accounts will be reactivated by FI, so you might not need to go into each account.
    4. Be sure to carefully "link to existing" account on Quicken.
    5. After all accounts have been reactivated, do an OSU. After it completes, check each account's last update date and time to make sure it is current. If you still get a CC-800 error, then correct that account only, by doing through the deactivate and reactivate process.

The key is to deactivate ALL accounts with EWC and EWC+, whether they have the CC-800 error or not. If you only correct the one's with the CC-800 error, the error will keep popping up in other accounts.

As always, before you troubleshoot or make changes, please make a backup of your data file, just in case.

• owl1161
    owl1161 Member ✭✭
    Options

Thank you for your help. I checked and didn't have any hidden accounts or closed accounts with connection still showing. I am in the process of reactivating and reauthorizing my accounts. I tried to restore on my new laptop from a copy of the good file from my old laptop using a USB device, and ALL the accounts had the CC-800 error. It all started 2 days ago, with just 2 accounts. Oddly enough, the file had been working just fine on the new laptop for 3 days.

• QuickUserPSP
    Options

@owl1161 It is known that the CC-800 errors pop up if you restore a backup. I find that they also can occur when you do a "sign in as a different user". But otherwise, they can pop up whenever you change anything dealing with Online Services. I no longer am concerned when I get the CC-800 error. I usually can fix them easily.

• rismanma
    rismanma Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Are you suggesting to deactivate all accounts which use Express Web Connect / Express Web Connect +? Or just the ones with that particular financial institution login?

• QuickUserPSP
    edited March 2
    Options

@rismanma it would be for all accounts. I find that if you only deactivate the accounts just for the FI, the CC-800 error will inevitably pop up for other FIs.

• owl1161
    owl1161 Member ✭✭
    Options

Something really wrong is happening with bank connections. Yesterday I deactivated, removed the bank name and account number from 2 CFG accounts, saved the changes. Then deleted the 2 accounts. I closed Quicken, waited 15 minutes, then reopened and added my 2 cfg accounts with different names. I did not set up online services. This morning I processed a One Step Update and received notification from my CFG bank that my access was successful. Then my 2 Discover accounts received the CC-800 error.

• owl1161
    owl1161 Member ✭✭
    Options

I am removing online services from all accounts. I will then validate, and probably super validate, the file. I will delete my cloud data, and wait until tomorrow to start setting up the online services again. I will try a one step update first just to see if any connections are still active.

• QuickUserPSP
    Options

@owl1161 - it looks like you did some steps in addition to the ones I gave you. Please go back a take a look at the steps I shared with you. It's pretty straightforward and simple. It works for me every time I need to fix CC-800 errors.

• owl1161
    owl1161 Member ✭✭
    Options

I looked at your comment again. And I did do some additional steps. I kept getting alerts from my bank that I had successfully accessed my accounts even though I had deactivated the online services. So I did try some additional steps in an effort to clean up data.

I am happy to report: yesterday I restored a backup from a good file on my old laptop, deactivated online services for all accounts, deleted my cloud data, and waited until this morning to reactive the online services. Successful activation and OSU! Although, half way through reactivating online services, I received an alert from my CFG bank that I had successfully accessed my accounts — I had not yet gotten to that account to reactivate the online services.

Thank you for your help!

• QuickUserPSP
    edited March 4
    Options

@owl1161 glad it's working now. I have learned that sometimes to fix any account with EWC or EWC+ entails treating them as a group rather than just the individual account with the error.

• Dloj
    Dloj Member
    Options

I guys great thread, do me a favor do not write in acronyms. I don't have a clue what you are talking about with those and is not helpful to new people, like me, to the forum. thanks. I also am having problems with syncing with banks, but I will start my own thread for that.

• owl1161
    owl1161 Member ✭✭
    Options

After a week of going through the same steps daily to fix accounts with CC-800, fix one set of accounts with a bank, then another bank and all it's accounts would get the CC-800 error. I finally got everything working, things going well for a couple of weeks. Then 3/31, Synchrony and Discover got the CC-800 error. I fixed those, then this morning ALL the other accounts had the error.

American Express 2 accounts, CFG 2 accounts Capital One 3 accounts, Chase 3 accounts, Lowe's 1 account.

I fixed all these accounts with error, then Discover's 3 accounts had the error. Fixed those and now CFG 2 accounts have the error. ???? This is crazy.

After deactivating each account, I would reset the cloud data, log off, and delete the Quicken runtime files. I waited 15 minutes, then logged on and activated each account - transactions from 3/31 downloaded and reconciled.

• Bill West
    Bill West Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Same issue here. I have multiple Quicken files, one for my household and others for for my in-laws.

Long-time Quicken user of over 20 years and have seen Quicken one-step update get continually worse over the years. I understand the complexity of managing so many banks but this general CC-800 error popping up randomly is really unacceptable. I have not restored from any backups nor have I added any accounts yet CC-800 just keeps happening. And, I can't keep deactivating and reactivating accounts - it's way too time consuming. So sad see Quicken support not addressing this….

• owl1161
    owl1161 Member ✭✭
    Options

I deactivated the two CFG bank accounts. I removed ALL accounts from Mobile & Web, reset cloud data, turned off sync, exited, and deleted runtime.dat file. Waited 15 minutes, logged into Quicken and ran a one step update. Now I have the CC-800 error on 2 Discover Bank accounts. I deactivated those accounts and exited Quicken.

Opened Quicken and ran the One Step Update and now I have no errors.

I activated the two Discover accounts. Ran the One Step Update - NO errors.

I activated the two CFG accounts. Ran the One Step Update - NO errors.

It seems that the CC-800 errors are connected to the sync feature in the Mobile & Web tab.

Can't wait to see what happens tomorrow….

• owl1161
    owl1161 Member ✭✭
    Options

And today….

One Step Update resulted in CC-800 error for Synchrony Savings. I deactivated online services for Synchrony, reset could data, logged off.

Logged in and ran the One Step Update, now the two accounts with CFG have the CC-800 error. I deactivated online services, reset cloud data, logged off.

Logged in and ran One Step Update, now the two accounts with Discover Bank have the CC-800 error. I deactivated the online services, reset cloud data, logged off.

The account types associated with these three banks are CDs.

Logged in and ran the One Step Update and no errors.

One Step Update had been fine until the random CC-800 errors started occurring in late February and continue randomly affecting various accounts weekly.

This is a Quicken problem. Their "Steps to Fix" do not work with consistency. The fact that so many users have reported the same problem in the Quicken Community is an indication that this is a Quicken problem that does not resolve.

• owl1161
    owl1161 Member ✭✭
    edited April 4
    Options

Well, it didn't go well. CFG, Discover, and Synchrony still error. I chatted with support and Pablo had me restore a backup file from a time prior to the first error occurring the end of February. He stated he thought it was a file issue.

Instructions from Pablo:

Please deactivate all accounts affected by CC-800, erase Financial name and account number from account details. Sign out and sign back in and reconnect all the accounts.

One Step Update is working fine today, no errors.

I want to add that I DID NOT activate the CD accounts. These are the banks that consistently have the CC-800 error. I didn't feel risking the return of the error was worth it for these few accounts with just one monthly transaction. I do have a Discover savings and credit card account that I did activate.

• CMCaldwell
    CMCaldwell Member ✭✭
    Options

I started getting CC-800 on my Discover account today. I tried deactivating and reactivating and it didn't fix it. Followed the instructions the owl1161 received from Pablo and it fixed it.

Specifically:

Please deactivate all accounts affected by CC-800, erase Financial name and account number from account details. Sign out and sign back in and reconnect all the accounts.

Seems like everyday I am chasing another Quicken error. I've been a Quicken user over 25 years and have never experienced so many errors!

• Bill West
    Bill West Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Likewise, 20+ years on Quicken and I share your frustration. Never had so many issues with One Step Update. Spoke with support and they told me the only way to clean out OSU corruption is to start with a clean copy of your file and then reauthorize all accounts. Apparently that starts a new copy of OSU information stored in the Quicken cloud. See the link below…. Good luck

• owl1161
    owl1161 Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks Bill. I have done this repeatedly since late February. Once I finally get all the accounts working with OSU, it lasts about 2 weeks and the CC-800 error starts again. The most recent, I worked with Quicken Support on the phone April 3, went through all the steps. All the accounts were working with OSU again. This lasted until today, Discover Card CC-800. It seems like OSU is corrupting the file.

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Or it could be that your runtime.dat file is corrupted. That will produce CC-800 errors and accounts to not update (even though the OSU Summary indicates OSU completed properly). Usually the issues start with one or two accounts but will eventually progress to include more accounts. Eventually it could progress to the point where no accounts will update.

A good indication that you might be having a runtime.dat file issue is when above and to the left of an account register immediately below the Account Name the last download date/time is either not present or is old and/or the connection method is not shown.

If you are seeing this on the registers of the affected accounts, you might want to try doing the process spelled out in this thread: Time date stamp [of last account update].

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I outlined the detailed steps of how I corrected mine in this post and the OP of that post was successful as well - little after halfway in the post with numbered steps. Hoping this will help those with serious repeated errors.

- QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• owl1161
    owl1161 Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks for the input. I will take a look at the post. This last "fix" with Quicken Support a couple of weeks ago, I did not delete the runtime.dat file. But in the fixes throughout Mar (same steps that Quicken Support had me do in April), I did delete the runtime.dat file. I'm going to read the posts and the link provided in the comments. Thank you

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

As was mentioned in the thread I'd referenced, deleting the runtime.dat file does not always fix the issue the first time. For me with 1 data file I had to repeat the process 3X before it was fixed. For the other 7 files that I also needed to fix, the fix worked the first time. BTW, it's now been a year since I fixed my runtime.dat issues and the issue has not returned….keeping my fingers crossed! 😁

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• owl1161
    owl1161 Member ✭✭
    Options

So far here are my steps for trying to get beyond the CC-800 error. And this is my 6th time with this process since the end of February. Five on my own, one with Quicken Support.

4/14/2024

1. File Copy - Created New Copy, this also created a new cloud data file
    2. Opened the copied file.
    3. Viewed the Account list to verify the process deactivated online connections - it did
    4. Deleted Financial Institution Name and Account Number from each account
      NOTE: Viewed individual account details and Financial Institution name was still there; Viewed Account List under tools, the Financial Institution column did not show any Financial Institution names
    5. Deleted old file ID in Mobile & Web
    6. Closed the newly copied file.
    7. Deleted two runtime.dat files
      "C:\ProgramData\Quicken\Inet\Login's Quicken Data\runtime.dat"
      "C:\ProgramData\Quicken\Inet\Common\runtime.dat"

4/15/2024

1. Gave up completely….uninstalled Quicken, removed all Quicken related files and folders, edited the Registry and removed all instances of Quicken.
    2. Reinstalled Quicken
    3. Opened the copied file which I will just call my new working file
    4. Activated the online services
    5. Ran OSU — no errors

I hope this is the end of the CC-800 errors. New install, new cloud data file, new quicken file.