Wrong Financial Institutions Updated

Options

I've disconnected, signed out, shut down, signed back in and reconnected my Discover card. After deduping everything that downloaded, re-attaching all the attachment documents that had disappeared, and backing up a copy, I ran update again only on that account.

Only "Elan Financial Services" and "Target National Bank" appear in the Update Complete list.

Anyone have any idea of what is going on here?

Tagged:

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Without looking at your account register and settings it's impossible for one of use Community members to determine the problem and help fix it.

If you haven't done so already, I'd say it's time to call Quicken Support on the phone during posted hours of operation and request help. Let them do a screen share session with you to review the situation on your computer, to determine the nature of the problem and to figure out how to fix it.
    Quicken Support:
    - To contact Quicken Support, please use this link only:
    https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support and select Chat or Phone support.
    - Support is only available during posted hours of operation
    - The phone number can be found at the support website.
    - To start Chat or see the support phone number, your browser must allow popup windows from https://www.quicken.com
    See https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7870684/faq-talk-to-support-does-not-respond#latest
    - If you are eligible for Premium Support (purchased separately or included as part of your subscription to Quicken Premier or HB&R) call the number that can be found at the top of your My Account page at https://www.quicken.com/my-account (US) or https://www.quicken.com/canada/my-account (Canada) when you log in with your Quicken ID. Place the call using the phone whose number is recorded in your account profile.
    - Other links or phone numbers found elsewhere on the Internet, even in some posts or emails received from other Community members, may not be from Quicken or may not be up-to-date. Use those at your own risk.
    - Unlike other so-called "Quicken support providers" demanding fees for their service, the real Quicken Support is free for all currently supported versions.

• Shannon M M
    Shannon M M Member ✭✭
    Options

On previous occasions when I've done that I had to build my file back from the ground up!

That's why I'd like to come here first to see if anyone else is having the same problem or has had the same problem in the past and was able to solve it.

• JoelC
    JoelC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Shannon M M how are you connecting to Discover; for example, are you using Web Connect, Express Web Connect (EWC), or other? I for one — others may / will differ — gave up on EWC because it was not reliable for me. You may want to try Web Connect and see whether this fixes yoru problem.

• QuickUserPSP
    QuickUserPSP Member, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

@Shannon M M - How did you update? Through OSU or "Update Now"? Sometime when you update via "Update Now", the results on that update summary is not always correct. There seems to be other users having issues with Discover accounts and CCs.

@JoelC - Web Connect is not available for any Discover accounts. The only option is to download via EWC.

• JoelC
    JoelC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 3
    Options

@Shannon M M

Web Connect is not available for any Discover accounts. The only option is to download via EWC.

Noted. Too bad, it was just an idea.

One other idea. Can you go their website, download the data in Quicken file format and then import it. This is essentially replicating Web Connect.

• QuickUserPSP
    Options

@JoelC - Web Connect and downloading from their website in Quicken format is the same thing. So, Express Web Connect is Shannon's only option.

• Shannon M M
    Shannon M M Member ✭✭
    Options

There are some interesting threads here and all roads seem to land in Quicken’s lap. As for downloading a file from the bank then integrating it into Quicken- If I had to do that for all my accounts, why would I need Quicken? I would just go back to the spreadsheet I used to use. Already there are a few accounts I don’t use too much so I’ve just given up on. It galls me that I have to remember when I do use them to make the manual entries and chances are 50/50 that at least one account will throw out an error message on OSU on any given day.

As to my process, I updated (account details set to “Express Web Connect”) from within the account register using the Ctrl+Alt+U command. The resulting window displays “One Step Update Settings” and “Download transactions and balances” with only the “Discover Card” showing and checked. The progress window says, “Downloading transactions”. The Summary shows Elan and Target being updated.

Discover says “If using Quicken, please switch to Express Web connect.” So, this is not a Discover problem, though there might well be one. This is a problem with how Quicken is handling requests and data.

I ran OSU and Discover did not show up in the “Update Complete” list. Though I got (again) a request to to verify an Amex card that sometimes arrives and sometimes doesn’t, and multiple blue dots where there were no new transactions.

• Shannon M M
    Shannon M M Member ✭✭
    Options

I'm trying to post some additional troubleshooting steps I've taken. But the site isn't allowing it. Will try later.

• Shannon M M
    Shannon M M Member ✭✭
    Options

Note- When first reconnected, Discover DID download the transactions, duplicating existing transactions. But subsequent updates resulted in the wrong accounts showing updated.

Tried-

“Reset Account” and the “Link to existing” pulldown was unresponsive. But when I accepted it ran a successful download. But again changed my Opening Balance to some number not found anywhere else in my files. Color me crazy, but does this sound like a Discover problem?

Tried-

Deactivate/Set up now from the register, linked to existing – No confirmation window

Tried- Tools> Add Account> Discover Card listed under financial institutions> Linked to existing> “Downloaded and categorized”, again inserting odd number as Opening Balance.

Tried-

Create a test file> Added Discover Card>“Downloaded and categorized” from 1/16/23.

Discover is working fine. Quicken’s handling of it, not so much. All the little (and not so little) foibles indicate to me that the program is very buggy. But you all probably know that. I still would like to hear about any other actions you’ve all taken and the results.

• JoelC
    JoelC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Shannon M M

There are some interesting threads here and all roads seem to land in Quicken’s lap. As for downloading a file from the bank then integrating it into Quicken- If I had to do that for all my accounts, why would I need Quicken? I would just go back to the spreadsheet I used to use. Already there are a few accounts I don’t use too much so I’ve just given up on. It galls me that I have to remember when I do use them to make the manual entries and chances are 50/50 that at least one account will throw out an error message on OSU on any given day.

Agree with what you wrote about downloads / entries and spreadsheest but there are other benefits and uses to using Quicken which, fo rme, is why I stick with it.

I ran OSU and Discover did not show up in the “Update Complete” list. Though I got (again) a request to to verify an Amex card that sometimes arrives and sometimes doesn’t, and multiple blue dots where there were no new transactions.

At this point, I suggest that you call Quicken support. I am not trying to pass the buck but they have seen this before.

• Shannon M M
    Shannon M M Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks for the input. I'm a little gun shy with their tech support. But that might be my last resort and I'm approaching it now. It may be worth waiting a few days to see if anything works itself out. That's happened before, too! LOL!

In the meantime another unrelated account wasn't listed in its own update, but again, the Elan and Target were. {Sigh}

• QuickUserPSP
    Options

@Shannon M M - have you always had issues with your accounts? How many accounts do you have? When you look on your Account List, what are their connection methods? I ask because I think there is a way to correct all of the ones you are having issues with.

• JoelC
    JoelC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Shannon M M no need to be gun shy, what is the worst that can happen, you cannot be worse off. Just make sure you backup your file before doing anything they ask.

The other possibility is calling Discover to see whether they have had any issues reported on their end. You may not be the only one!

• Shannon M M
    Shannon M M Member ✭✭
    edited March 3
    Options

QuickUserPSP - The issues usually occur after an application update. In the past I've been able to fix them using the methods I've described here or they seem to repair themselves.

The connection methods are whatever designation they received when set up. Some are Direct Connect, others Express Web Connect or Express Web Connect+. I have always followed instructions to change connect methods when requested.

I have 51 accounts- Savings, checking, credit card, and brokerage.

If you know of a way I haven't tried yet, please share!

• Shannon M M
    Shannon M M Member ✭✭
    Options

JoelC- Good story there. The last time I followed tech support instructions, I had to rebuild everything. It turns out that the backups weren't importing correctly and were full of corruptions! Tech support wasn't aware of the problem, so when I followed the instructions to create a new file, I lost what was still working, albeit imperfectly.

I did call Discover and they said everything should be working just fine.

• QuickUserPSP
    Options

@Shannon M M - I bet the Direct Connect account are working fine? But yes I think there are things you can do that will help. It is a process that I don't see on here much anymore, but it does take care of some file corruption and connection issues and provides somewhat of a "clean start". I think you are struggling because you are fixing things "piecemeal". You have a lot of accounts, and it's easy to fix one thing and have another break.

I need to write it up and share. I will take a day or two to gather it up.

• Shannon M M
    Shannon M M Member ✭✭
    Options

QuickUserPSP- Thanks! I look forward to trying it.

The Direct Connect accounts a fewer and are all brokerages. I tried "Update Transactions" from the account register on one of them just now and the summary included a lot of other accounts again, not just the account to update.

• QuickUserPSP
    Options

@Shannon M M - I forgot to ask what financial instituions do you have that use Direct Connect?

• QuickUserPSP
    Options

@Shannon M M if you are hesitant to name them, I just want to make sure none of them are going through the conversion process to EWC+

• Shannon M M
    Shannon M M Member ✭✭
    Options

QuickUserPSP- Fidelity, Vanguard, T. Rowe. But again, these aren't the most troublesome.

• Shannon M M
    Shannon M M Member ✭✭
    Options

Update- I've now found that even my credit union is returning an update summary of Elan and Target. Something is really messed up!

• QuickUserPSP
    Options

@Shannon M M I was in the process of writing something up for you but when I saw this post I decide give you some "off the cuff" simple steps that would get your account back on track. You have a lot of accounts. It sounds like the ones that use EWC or EWC+ are the ones causing issues. I suspect you have issues with mis-linked accounts and file corruption.

First do a Validate and Super Validate on your current data file:

Validate:

1. Go to File in Menu Bar
    2. Click Validate and Repair File...
    3. ChecK Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log

Super Validate:

1. Go to File in Menu Bar
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Check Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log

Then create a new data file. All of your accounts will be disconnected from online services in the new file and will need to be reconnected again.

This "File Copy" process will clear all connections and give you a "fresh start".

1. Make a backup of your data file.
    2. Click on File→Copy or Backup file.
    3. Choose "Create a copy or template", and then click "Next".
    4. On the next screen, leave all the defaults "as-is". Make a note of the copied data file name and location. Change the file name if you wish.
    5. After File Copy is done you will have a choice of going into the copied file or the original file. Choose the copied file.
    6. Go the Account List, then "Activate" your accounts by clicking on "Add Account" at the bottom of the Account List window. The accounts will be activated by each financial institution, so you might not need go into each account.
    7. Go through the activation process, entering your user ID and password. When it comes to the "Add Account" screen where it lists all accounts, carefully link each account to the existing account on Quicken. It is critical that you double check every connection, even if the accounts are already linked. If any of your accounts use EWC+, there will be some additional authentication steps before you get to this screen on Quicken.
    8. After you have activated all your accounts, close and reopen Quicken, and then try an OSU again. If you get any errors, go to the account register and do an "Update Now", and then try an OSU again.

Please note that you can also reactivate your accounts by going into the "Online Services" tab in Account Details, but some users have found that that that doesn't always work for accounts using EWC+ that requires authentication from the financial institution.

Give these steps a try and see if it resolves your issues. Please let me know if you have any questions.

• Shannon M M
    Shannon M M Member ✭✭
    Options

This is going to take a while. I'll post again when complete.

• QuickUserPSP
    Options

@Shannon M M if you have any questions when along the way, please circle back.

• Shannon M M
    Shannon M M Member ✭✭
    Options

Okay. Done!

I won’t know if it’s working until there’s some activity. But a few notes:

As I was adding the accounts back into the new file, some accounts displayed the blue dot in the accounts list even though there were no new transactions.

In institutions where there are two different accounts with separate logins, I noticed that the second one connected is listed in the “One Step Update Summary” after running OSU even though these accounts have “0 new transactions”. Other accounts that did have new transactions (and blue dots in the register) were not listed in the summary.

Though I no longer get the repeated requests to verify from American Express for the credit cards (Yay!), I’ve lost my “grandfathered” connection to the American Express HYSA Savings account. (Boo!) According to Amex, they are no longer supporting Quicken automated updating for these accounts.

I’ll continue to monitor how things go and post here if anything pops up again.

• QuickUserPSP
    edited March 16
    Options

@Shannon M M - yes please give an update when you are able to download transaction updates. As of the American Express HYS, I still have my connection and can disconnect and connect without issues. The key there is to use the "old" user name and password from before when Amex updated their sign on method and requirements. And, the FI to use is "American Express Bank FSB"

The one comment you made worries me - "Other accounts that did have new transactions (and blue dots in the register) were not listed in the summary."

All accounts should be listed in the OSU summary especially if they did have transactions. But let's just see what happens when you have download activity.

This discussion has been closed.