Start over

Options

I'm using Windows version R54.16.

Haven't used the program since the first part of last year and would like to start over. The historical info now listed would be nice to save but is not totally necessary. Any recommendations as to how to accomplish this would be appreciated.

Tagged:

Best Answer

• QuickUserPSP
    QuickUserPSP Member, Windows Beta Beta
    edited March 3 Answer ✓
    Options

@pk_2024 - The easiest thing to do if you want to keep historical information is to save your current data file and have it handy just in case you need to reference it in the future. There are couple of things I think you should do before you store the file away —

• Deactivate online services for each account. I think the easiest way to do this is to go to your Account List and deactivate each account by clicking on "Edit" and then on the Online Services tab, click "Deactivate".
    • Rename the current data file with something that would make it easily identifiable and that it is for historical data only.
    • Create transaction reports and export or save them to a spreadsheet. This will give you another way to access historical data if and when needed.

After this is done, you can start a new data file and your old file is still there to reference whenever you need it.

Answers

• JoelC
    JoelC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I see two options and it depends what you want to do with the historical data.

i) If the historical is needed / valuable (i.e., reporting purposes, tax purposes ,etc.).

I would then download the missing data from the financial institution to get the correct balance as of today or enter an adjusting transaction to get the correct balance as of today. This will allow you to report on the historical data to when you stopped using Quicken.

ii) If the historical is NOT needed / valuable (i.e., reporting purposes, tax purposes ,etc.).

I would simply start anew. It is simpler and cleaner.

Just my $0.02!

• QuickUserPSP
    QuickUserPSP Member, Windows Beta Beta
    edited March 3 Answer ✓
    Options

@pk_2024 - The easiest thing to do if you want to keep historical information is to save your current data file and have it handy just in case you need to reference it in the future. There are couple of things I think you should do before you store the file away —

• Deactivate online services for each account. I think the easiest way to do this is to go to your Account List and deactivate each account by clicking on "Edit" and then on the Online Services tab, click "Deactivate".
    • Rename the current data file with something that would make it easily identifiable and that it is for historical data only.
    • Create transaction reports and export or save them to a spreadsheet. This will give you another way to access historical data if and when needed.

After this is done, you can start a new data file and your old file is still there to reference whenever you need it.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Another option is to keep using the existing file,

• deactivate the online services for the existing accounts,
    • rename the existing accounts adding something like "-old" to them,
    • zero each of them out with a transaction using the account name in square brackets (i.e. [checking-old] ) so that they don't affect any networth reports, this makes the just added transaction not look like an income or expense.
    • create any new accounts as needed while activating them for online services, the financial institution will download however many transactions is their policy for the initial download. It might be 30 days, it could be 6 months, it is their decision and you have no control over that download.

If you decide that you only want the new accounts to start with 1/1, delete any transactions before that date and modify the Opening Balance transaction to make the current balance agree with the balance prior to the deletions.

I'd also hide all of the old accounts just to they don't clutter up the screen, but they are there if needed for reference or networth over time reports.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

This discussion has been closed.