Is there a issue with downloading Tangerine Bank account transactions into Quicken?

Options
Desman
Desman Member

I have tried many times in the last couple of weeks to sync my Tangerine accounts into Quicken. The only way I have been able to load in my Tangerine account transactions is manually downloading each account and then importing them into quicken. This seems to only a issue with Tangerine, other Bank accounts work fine.

Best Answer

• Arctic Hare
    Arctic Hare SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 4 Answer ✓
    Options

There are two methods that can be used to download transactions from Canadian financial institutions into the Canadian version of Quicken for Windows: (i) Web Connect; and (ii) Express Web Connect. It would be helpful if you were specific in your references. As it stands, we are having to guess what you mean. What is and is not working with Web Connect and Express Web Connect?

For argument's sake, I also just tried initiating an Express Web Connect connection to Tangerine and Quicken does not permit one to attempt to set such up - which is what you would expect from the FIDIR.TXT. Quicken understands that an EWC connection to Tangerine is not supported. If you create a new account with Tangerine in Quicken for Windows - Canadian, the connection type defaults to a Web Connect connection; you can't force an EWC setup.

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Tangerine is a CDN bank. Are you running Q Canada?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Arctic Hare
    Options

When you say "sync my Tangerine accounts into Quicken" are you meaning "download my transactions from Tangerine using Express Web Connect"? If that is the issue or question, then the answer is that Express Web Connect is not presently supported for Tangerine. According to the FIDIR.TXT, the only connection method that is supported is Web Connect - see the following excerpt from the FIDIR.TXT that governs banking connections:

10951 10951 10951 Tangerine - Personal Banking https://www.tangerine.ca/en/ 1-800-464-3473 https://www.tangerine.ca/app/ ACTIVE BANKING&WEB-CONNECT NOT_QBP NA

• Desman
    Desman Member
    Options

I did read about the FIDIR.txt file and thank for clarifying. I have someone who has Quicken (Canadian version) on their PC and they are able to download via quickens online connection. I’ll have to check out their FIDIR.txt file and see if there is a difference.

• Arctic Hare
    edited March 4 Answer ✓
    Options

There are two methods that can be used to download transactions from Canadian financial institutions into the Canadian version of Quicken for Windows: (i) Web Connect; and (ii) Express Web Connect. It would be helpful if you were specific in your references. As it stands, we are having to guess what you mean. What is and is not working with Web Connect and Express Web Connect?

For argument's sake, I also just tried initiating an Express Web Connect connection to Tangerine and Quicken does not permit one to attempt to set such up - which is what you would expect from the FIDIR.TXT. Quicken understands that an EWC connection to Tangerine is not supported. If you create a new account with Tangerine in Quicken for Windows - Canadian, the connection type defaults to a Web Connect connection; you can't force an EWC setup.

• Kateric
    Kateric Member ✭✭
    Options

Same here, I'm using the Quicken Canadian version R54.17. I have many Tangerine accounts and only one is connected in Quicken (web connect), all others are off line. I'm now trying to connect the other Tangerine accounts to make them Web Connect and it doesn't work. I tried every solution I could find in this community, I cannot "set-up online" the existing Tangerine accounts (and cannot add a new Tangerine web connect account either). It only creates additional off line accounts. Somehow, I was able to do it once as I have I one of my accounts already set-up Web Connect. This is very annoying…

• Kateric
    Kateric Member ✭✭
    Options

I was finally able to do it from the file menu, file import. During the import I was able to link to the existing account. The account now show as connected in the account details section. I'm guessing this is the way to do it, but it's not intuitive to say the least…

• Arctic Hare
    Options

@Kateric you didn't describe what you did in your attempt to set up additional Web Connect connections, but the scant description you provided it sounds like you aren't doing it correctly.

To add Web Connect connections, you should do the following:

• Start the process by logging into your financial institution's online banking website
    • Navigate to where you can download transactions for Quicken (QFX format)
    • Download a QFX file for one of the accounts that is not yet connected
    • If the file does not open in Quicken automatically, locate the downloaded file and double click on it, which should open a dialogue box in Quicken
    • If double clicking/opening the QFX file does not open the dialogue box in Quicken then you should check your file type associations in Quicken to confirm that QFX files are associated with the Quicken application.
    • As a default, Quicken will propose to create a new account in Quicken for the new/unconnected account; instead of accepting the default new account, select the existing Quicken account that corresponds to the one you just downloaded. This is what creates the Web Connect connection
    • In the future, when you open/double click the downloaded data file, it should automatically link to the corresponding account. You should also see the Web Connect connection listed in the Account List

• secretdi
    secretdi Member
    Options

ALSO - on the NON-connected accounts, when I open the downloaded QFX file, Quicken doesn't open the dialogue to choose which account to import to.

• Arctic Hare
    Options

I would try one additional test… create a brand new Quicken file (as a test). Do not create any accounts in the new Quicken file. Download and open the QFX file that is giving you trouble. What happens when you open the QFX file? Does opening the QFX file on your PC automatically open a dialogue box in Quicken? If opening the QFX file on your PC does NOT open a dialogue box in Quicken then this almost certainly a problem on Tangerine's end. In which case, you'll need to take the issue up with Tangerine. If opening the QFX file on your PC when Quicken is open to a blank Quicken file does open the expected dialogue box then we'll discuss why it might not be happening in your working file.

• anie
    anie Member ✭✭
    Options

quicken and tangerine do not play well together. At least 3 times a year I try to download transactions and quicken downloads none, even though there are transactions. Then withiin a few weeks it cures itself. I suspect that tangerine does some sort of update and that screws everything up. The solution is to change banks, and tangerine has too many advantages to do that. I am on the lookout for other software. The only thing I use quicken for is to download and allocate transactions for one credit card, so it is very frustrating when this happens the same day as the credit card bill comes out. I don't want budget help, or anything else. That''s why this is so frustrating.

This discussion has been closed.