Using Quicken Deluxe in "manual mode"

Options
Denk
Denk Member ✭✭

Can this be done?

1-Manually enter every transaction,

2-Use paper statement to balance monthly, in other words Quicken is just a spread sheet

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yes, you sure can. Just don't activate any of the accounts for online banking (One Step Update).

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• QuickUserPSP
    QuickUserPSP Member, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

@Denk - It is definitely doable, but it depends on if you are planning to have any investment accounts. If not, I would use Quicken Starter. If you do get Quicken Deluxe and have investment accounts, then to value them manually daily would become tedious, in my opinion. And, even if you do not use online services, the subscription price doesn't change. You do not get a break for using Quicken manually.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

A comment about Starter Edition, if the subscription expires, Q goes into READ-ONLY mode and is good for nothing other than a report generator. Deluxe and higher gets a screen hogging panel (20%-30%) urging you to renew your subscription .

If you have not used Q before, you might try using the 2013 version that is available at:

https://assistant.quicken.com/patch/ASDES5672FR13/Old_Products/QWIN/QW2013DLX.exe

The only things it is missing from subscription Q are generally related to online features.

It is free and if you decide to move up to subscription (2018+) Q, the file will convert to subscription Q without any problems.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Denk
    Denk Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks, my problem is that I had Q2004 and used an on-line converter to Q13( I think that's what it was) then my laptop crashed and I bought a new one without a CD drive, as a result, I purchased the Q deluxe on-line. Somewhere some numbers got messed up and I've never been able to reconcile without adjustments. I'm ana to the point that I need to know where the mistake is hiding.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

If you do get Quicken Deluxe and have investment accounts, then to value them manually daily would become tedious, in my opinion.

But you can enter your transactions manually, and let Quicken pull in the daily prices of securities. If you're buying and selling frequently, then all the manual entry is probably not practical but if you buy and sell relatively infrequently, and just have reported dividends/capital gains/interest to enter, doing it manually isn't too odious. (I'm a Quicken Mac user, and I choose to enter my transactions manually; I'm not pushing this approach for anyone, but it works well for me.)

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • QuickUserPSP
    QuickUserPSP Member, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

@jacobs that makes sense, but I was thinking that if he wanted to do everything manually, updating prices would totally a manual process. But from I am hearing from you, it looks like prices still can be updated automatically, even if one doesn't use online services?

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

But from I am hearing from you, it looks like prices still can be updated automatically, even if one doesn't use online services?

Exactly. That's what I do. So I still click One Step Update whenever I want o see my current security valuations, but all it's doing it pulling in security prices, not transactions.

Hmmm, let me correct the terminology here. The security quotes service is part of what Quicken considers "online services". I just don't have my accounts set up to download transactions from the financial institutions. (I do download some accounts in a test file, but not in my live file, so I can see how the experiencers differ.)

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.