Reconciliation Help

Options

I am stuck with Reconciliation. We've reconciled successfully for years. This past December I reconciled our account to 11/30/2023. When entering Dec 2023 beginning balance, I have an opening balance difference of -30.64. The only transaction I see in history for this amount dates from 2021. I'm unsure how to best proceed. All transactions download from our checking account and have for years now without incident. We have transactions entered through March 6 at this point in time.

Tagged:

Answers

• wgriffith
    wgriffith Member
    Options

I have no check numbers. Further I have no column for check numbers. All check numbers from the past are gone

• QuickUserPSP
    QuickUserPSP Member, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

@Brent S H - Do you use online balances to reconcile? Either way I would proceed with the reconciliation and ignore the beginning balance difference. Sometimes these differences "shake out". Otherwise, i would check your FI statement or online transactions for 30.64 or a combination of numbers that add up to that amount.

• QuickUserPSP
    edited March 9
    Options

wgriffith - In your account register, in the upper right next to "Balance", there is a "register" icon. Click on it and you should see a list of register columns.

Click on "Check #" to select it, and then click "Done". Your column for check numbers should now show in your account register.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Brent S H

Check the Opening Balance in the account's register to make sure that Quicken did not change it without your knowledge. Q has a problem with changing it if account's are de-activated/re-activated for One Step Update.

Regardless, enter the correct amount for that transaction in the Memo field for future reference.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• wgriffith
    wgriffith Member
    Options

I have been using Quicken for a long time. My check# column along with all check numbers has disappeared. I can not get any transaction to post a check number.

• QuickUserPSP
    Options

@wgriffith have you tried to do a validate or super validate on your data file?

Validate:

1. Go to File in Menu Bar
    2. Click Validate and Repair File...
    3. ChecK Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log

Super Validate:

1. Go to File in Menu Bar
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Check Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log

After the validates are done, close and reopen Quicken. Then see if you are able to enter a check #, or if your check #s are there. Not sure if this will help but it is worth a try.

This discussion has been closed.