The yearly subscription is too high.

Options
mafleming
mafleming Member
edited May 5 in The Water Cooler

A 14% increase and nothing has changed. That's way above the inflation rate and I get nothing new. It's still as buggy as ever. [Removed - Speculation]

Comments

• QuickUserPSP
    QuickUserPSP Member, Windows Beta Beta
    edited March 8
    Options

@mafleming if you look at pricing comparisons on the internet, Quicken falls in the middle. If you look at product comparisons with peer products, Quicken always rates high. Yes, other personal account software may be cheaper, but they do not provide the depth that Quicken does.

As for your statement "It's still buggy as ever", from what I can see, it's not a true statement for everyone. Those that do have not issues with Quicken are usually silent. It is human nature to not say anything when something is working well, but when something goes wrong, it's a certainty that there will be complaints. So, what you are seeing in this Quicken Community forum is a skewed view of experiences of frustrated and angry users.

People's memories are not always accurate as well. Quicken has come a long way and it and if you go back to earlier versions with Intuit, you can clearly see a difference between now and then. Users here also talk fondly about Microsoft Money, but in reality, that program was nowhere as good as Quicken is now.

I am having no issues with Quicken and it is working better than it ever was. I even use Mobile and Web with no major issues. After using Quicken for many years I have learned that most issues are easily fixable. The key is to know the steps to take to find a solution. That is why this Quicken Community forum exists. Users helping other users find answers to their questions, solutions to their issues, and suggestions to best use Quicken.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 8
    Options

it all depends on what version you are using - and how/why you are using Quicken -

For me - it is all the Investment tracking - I don't use most of the rest of the product…. just basic Investment tracking -
    along with all the online transactions from banking, credit card charges, and Calendar Reminders to pay bills…
    BUT- the question is - what is that tracking worth in dollars…. is it worth $6 or $8 a month - heck…. that's a single McD lunch ?
    For me - the answer is YES -
    For others, they may only be using Quicken as a spreadsheet checkbook register - it might not be worth it -
    Just like any other cost…. is it worth it to you to use that service ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

That's way above the inflation rate and I get nothing new.

That's a slippery slope to go down. What about the years when Quicken didn't increase prices, or increased them less than the rate of inflation?

I looked up the pricing for Quicken Deluxe since subscription pricing began seven years ago:

2017: $49.99
      2018: $49.99 (+0%)
      2019: $49.99 (+0%)
      2020: $49.99 (+0%)
      2021: $51.99 (+4%)
      2022: $59.98 (+15%)
      2023: $59.98 (+0%)
      2024: $71.88 (+20%)

As of last year, the price had increased only twice in six years, and the cost had gone up less than inflation (using the consumer price index) — 20% increase for Quicken versus 24% for inflation. This year had a record increase, so now over 7 years, the price has increased 44%, which is slightly more than the cost of inflation. I imagine Quicken's largest single cost is paying its staff, and there's been considerable upward pressure to retain and hire, especially in tech, since the pandemic.

In any case, we can say that Quicken's cost increases aren't significantly out of line with inflation, but the 2024 20% increase is worrisome. Did they need to raise prices that much to keep up with costs? Did they see the closing of Mint as an opportunity to capitalize, push their price point, and boost their revenues? We'll never know.

As for "nothing new", I think we tend to undervalue all the work it takes to make things look/work the same as they have in the past. Quicken is under unrelenting pressure from financial institutions to update the under-the-hood technologies just to maintain connectivity; sometimes "nothing new" for the user is actually the result of lots of work invisible to us to make things continue to work.

All that said, it comes down to what @Ps56k2 said above (in many fewer words 😂): is the cost of Quicken worth it to you or not? Do you get enough value out of Quicken to be worth $6/month. If not, it may no longer be the tool for you; if yes, what it cost in the past or how the cost increase tracks with inflation isn't really relevant. We all use Quicken differently, and it's logical that the value proposition for each of us may be different.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

cost of business - as mentioned above, maybe the increase goes to staff…
    BUT -
    what about their relationship with Intuit for providing online downloading services - ?
    what about Quote/pricing services ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

I was looking up something else on the Quicken website and just came across this nugget in the FAQs about subscriptions:

How much does Quicken cost? How much will renewing my membership cost?
    To see our entire product lineup, including features and cost, please see our Plans & Pricing. A Quicken membership will be renewed at the current retail price. We do not anticipate any significant cost increase. 

I guess someone forgot to remove that last sentence before the 2024 20% price increase was announced. 🤣

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Hav1027
    Hav1027 Member
    edited March 18
    Options

I agree that Quicken has issues that it never did before, I am running Quicken Classic Premier. I have used it for more than 20 years and my subscription expires tomorrow and I will not renew, it is not the price as you can always find a sale price somewhere, it is all the issues. I used to use Quicken to track all my financials and being able to download is key. The One Step update has not worked for months, Sometimes If I download an account by itself it works. Investment accounts do not work at all they freeze the program and I have to end the task and re-open. I can't fix placeholder entries in my investment accounts. I can't even set up my new investment account. So now I need to manually enter everything so I question why am I paying, I can do Manual for free.

When it is working correctly it is worth it but since October last year all I have had is issues, I have been installing the updates as they are Supposed to fix things but alas they are not.

[Removed - Third-Party Mention]. I will keep Quicken on my desktop and if they ever fix the issues I may go back because I do like the Tax planner ad that is not on the new software.

• Fltbuff
    Fltbuff Member ✭✭
    edited April 5
    Options

[Removed - Speculation]

This discussion has been closed.