iMac Catalina 2014 - can't upgrade - what to do ? (edit)

Options
ROMA123
ROMA123 Unconfirmed, Member

I have a late 2014 Mac with Catalina. I cannot upgrade to any newer OS as it fails every time. Not even Big Sur. Don't know why but I've tried so many times and invested hundreds of hours with no success. I'm not wanting to purchase a new Mac as this one works great except for my Quicken subscription. Do they have an on-line version where everything can be done online? Or do I have to find another program that will work? I just renewed in Jan and wanted to upgrade to the home and business subscription but I guess that's not viable?

Answers

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

There's no purely online version of Quicken; Quicken on the Web works with desktop Quicken but isn't a stand-alone solution. There is Quicken Simplifi which is completely web based, but there's no way to get your Quicken data moved over to Simplifi so you'd have to start over. Also, Simplifi doesn't have anything like what you'd get with Quicken Home & Business so you might not find it satisfactory.

The only late 2014 Macs I see are Mac minis and they should be upgradable as far as Monterey (MacOS 12); if you haven't reached out to Apple for tech support you might try that since you shouldn't have to replace that Mac yet.

• ROMA123
    Options

Thank you, Jon!

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

hmmm

• macOS 10.13: High Sierra (Lobo) – September 25, 2017 (Latest: 10.13.6)
    • macOS 10.14: Mojave (Liberty) – September 24, 2018 (Latest: 10.14.6, July 2021)
    • macOS 10.15: Catalina (Jazz) – October 7, 2019 (Latest: 10.15.7, Security Update 2022-005, July 2022)
    • macOS 11: Big Sur (GoldenGate) – November 12, 2020 (Latest: 11.7.10, September 11, 2023)
    • macOS 12: Monterey (Star) – October 25, 2021 (Latest: 12.7.3, January 22, 2024)
    • macOS 13: Ventura (Rome) – October 24, 2022 (Latest: 13.6.4, January 22, 2024)
    • macOS 14: Sonoma (Sunburst) – September 26, 2023 (Latest: 14.3.1, February 8, 2024)

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• ROMA123
    Options

That's what I have (Catalina 10.15.7) but Quicken doesn't support the downloading function from the bank any longer. I have to do manual downloads for each bank which is ridiculously time consuming. (Not to mention having to remember all the freakin' passwords!)

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 8
    Options

so - what Quicken version do you have -
    which is the real question/problem you are now referencing ?

and if it is with a current subscription -
    then of course the online services should all work -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

@Ps56k2 I'm not sure the relevance of your post listing the sequence of macOS updates? Your post shows that Apple stopped issuing security updates for Catalina two years ago, in line with their policy to actively support the current and prior two operating systems. But that's not the issue here.

The issue for @ROMA123 is whether their late 2014 Mac can be upgraded beyond Catalina to at least the next operating system, Big Sur. The answer from Apple is that most Mac models from 2014 will run on Big Sur:

@ROMA123 didn't specify what model Mac is involved. If it's a MacBook (not MacBook Pro), then it may not be possible to advance past Catalina; all others from 2014 should be okay. (Most 2014 Macs cannot advance further, to macOS Monterey; the Late 2014 Mac Mini is an exception which can upgrade to Monterey.)

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Jon
    edited March 8
    Options

Here's a list of all the 2014 Macs:

https://everymac.com/systems/by_year/macs-released-in-2014.html

I missed that there were also a couple 27" iMacs released in late 2014, they can be upgraded to Mac OS 11 but not 12. I think every Mac on that list can be upgraded to at least Mac OS 11.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 8
    Options

yeah - the key is exactly which model MAC is being used - as per your list -
    with the MacBook (not Air or Pro) being the only bad option on that list -

Also - what Quicken version they are using -

the other similar discussion about - Catalina - with your comments -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Jon
    Options

There was no "MacBook" model released in 2014, only Airs and Pros. So unless OP is confused about the year their Mac was released, that isn't the issue.

• ROMA123
    Options

Just for clarification, my inquiry was for an iMac 27” late 2014 as Jon mentioned. I did contact apple support and they started working on it to see if they could get it to upgrade but I could not do so at the time because I was chatting with them from the affected machine. I have to do so at a later date.

This discussion has been closed.