How do I fix the way transactions are showing in my checking account balance?

Options

When I look at my checking account using my Quicken, it shows all of my checks and withdrawals as additions and all of my deposits as subtractions. So, my bank balance increases every time I write a check or make a withdrawal and it decreases when I make a deposit. I don't know when this started.

Answers

• QuickUserPSP
    QuickUserPSP Member, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

@sbechtel89 - verify that the Account Type in Account Details is "Checking". If so, then check the sort and filters in the checking register by clicking on the Date column a couple of times. The little triangle to the left of Date should be pointing up. If you have a green "Reset" box to the right of the filter boxes, click on it so it disappears.

If none of those things work, verify that your beginning balance is correct and your running balance is "not in the red".

If you still have issues, then do a validate and super validate on your data file.

Validate:

1. Go to File in Menu Bar
    2. Click Validate and Repair File...
    3. ChecK Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log

Super Validate:

1. Go to File in Menu Bar
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Check Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log

After the Validates complete go back to your checking register and see if the behavior persists.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Is the balance column shown in Red or Black print? It should be in Black, if it isn't, first check to make sure the Opening Balance of the account is correct. Trace back to when the balance went from Black to Red and see if you can find duplicate or missing transactions before that point.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

This discussion has been closed.