Budget numbers in Quicken for Mac Version 7.6.1 (Build 706.52627.100) do not total correctly

Options
Neil Anderson
Neil Anderson Member ✭✭

I have been trying to get a budget to work and it does not total correctly. I have read all the posts about zeroing out totals for categories with sub categories to get the totals to reset. That does work but, when you add up all the categories to a "super" category, they are simply wrong.

For example. You can have Auto fuel as a sub category and Auto service as another. If your Auto total is not correct, you can zero it out in the Auto total cell and it will reset to the correct number. But, if you have several categories rolling up to a much larger category such as All expenses or All business expenses, the numbers do not add up correctly.

This is no small bug. It should be fixed asap.

Comments

• Richard Schreyer
    Richard Schreyer Member ✭✭
    Options

Try Quicken For Mac to get a better answer…This is the Windows version.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

@Neil Anderson You might want to try this as an experiment. Create a new budget as a test (which you can delete later), and set it to include all categories and all accounts. Go through to manually add up all expenses to see if they do add up correctly. I think you will find that they do, and that the problem in your original budget is something which is hidden or manually entered for some roll-up category. If you flip back and forth between this all-inclusive budget and your existing budget, hopefully you can quickly identify one or more categories which have different totals between the two budgets.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Neil Anderson
    Neil Anderson Member ✭✭
    Options

@jacobs Thank you for taking your time to lay that out for me. I truly appreciate you. Upon further investigation, it seems that I had some allocations that were in a roll up of Business Expenses that were not allocated into the proper sub-category of Business Expenses. So when I was adding up (manually) all the sub-cats they were not equalling the total. I found the answer by looking at a transaction report that showed some entries as "Other Business Expenses" and when I drilled down they were in the parent and not the child category. Problem solved. Pilot error. I hate that….arghhh! Thanks again.

This discussion has been closed.