Application of _IntInc (and _DivInc) to IRA Transactions instead of _IntIncFree....

Options
John Dozier
John Dozier Member ✭✭
edited April 13 in Investing (Windows)

I have noticed that the categories IntInc and DivInc are being applied to transactions in my IRA accounts instead of the more appropriate IntIncFree and DivIncFree. I have not found a way to correct old transactions or make configuration changes that would prevent this happening on future transactions. And in the canned Taxable Income YTD section of the Planning/Tax Center, they are thus incorrectly shown as Taxable Income. Anybody know of a fix for this? And yes, those accounts are tagged as Tax Deferred.

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

It's not necessary to use the "free" actions in your IRA accounts. Since the account is designated Tax-Defered, the IntInc & DivInc actions will already be excluded from your tax reports.

The "free" actions should be used when the SECURITY is tax free … and it's ill-advised to hold tax-free securities in a tax-defered account.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• John Dozier
    John Dozier Member ✭✭
    Options

Good answer. I failed to track down the individual transactions that made up the _DivInc and _IntInc categories in the Taxable Income YTD section of Planning/Tax Center. After doing so, I realized that they were all from my non-IRA accounts. I guess I thought the numbers shouldn't be that high. My bad.

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

And in the canned Taxable Income YTD section of the Planning/Tax Center, they are thus incorrectly shown as Taxable Income. 

Your problem is the Tax planning pulling from the tax deferred accounts; not the designations as _DivInc vs _DivIncTaxFree. I don’t know why that would be happening. You might try a file validation.

• John Dozier
    John Dozier Member ✭✭
    edited March 13
    Options

@q_lurker The tax planning problem was an indication of my lack of attention to detail. The numbers were correct. I assumed they were too high and attributed that to problems in the use of _DivInc and _IntInc, which was my mistake. Problem solved…no problem at all.

This discussion has been closed.