Double entries when transitioning from Mint to new Quicken Classic (Mac) account.

Options
gsusie4
gsusie4 Member

I followed these steps:

1. Loaded mint data by importing a Mint CSV file.
  2. Added my bank accounts.

When checking my balances, I discovered balances in several accounts were off. With more research, I found duplicate transactions. Syncing with my banks brought in transactions for the past two months. The CSV file had those same transactions.

What I have now is a current file which only has transactions from syncing with my banks and a historical file which has mint transactions from the CSV file from the past several years.

This is an awkward work around. How can one create a new Quicken file from Mint data and not have duplicate transactions.

I would have thought since Mint and Quicken are both from Intuit, an elegant solution for this problem would be available.

Answers

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited March 13
    Options

It's not uncommon in my experience to get duplicate transactions when you connect an account for online access & do your first download. There's not much you can do about it except go through & delete the duplicates. It helps if you've reconciled the account beforehand - it makes it easier to find & delete the unreconciled dupes.

The good news is it only happens once. The deleted duplicates stay deleted & don't reappear.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

Every transaction downloaded from a financial institution has a unique ID number (the FITID: Financial Institution Transaction ID) assigned by the financial institution. You can even make the FITID column visible in your register temporarily if you want to see them. Quicken stores all these numbers in its database, and it uses them to identify and reject duplicate downloads of the same transaction. Since your imported CSV transactions didn't have that code, when you connected to and downloaded from your financial institution, Quicken had no way of knowing some of those transactions were duplicates of the ones you imported from the CSV file.

As @Jon said, you just have to go through and delete them. (You may be able to easily identify them if the downloaded transactions have a blue dot in the status column and the imported CSV ones don't.) This should be a one-time problem. Going forward with Quicken, it will detect any duplicates it has already downloaded.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.