Categories Not Showing Up in Register

Options
mybank2002
mybank2002 Member ✭✭✭✭

I have categories I am trying to enter on a Mac with Quicken 7.6.1, and they show up inpage, the Categories but I can not enter them as income in the register. Some of them I can, and I can't tell the difference between the ones that show up and the ones that don't when I go to edit them in the Categories window.

Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

In the Categories window, do you see the "Hidden" column? If not, right click (or control-click) on the headers to make the Hidden column visible. Then, are the categories check marked to be hidden?

Also, not sure what you mean by "show up inpage"?

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • mybank2002
    mybank2002 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks. I don't have any hidden categories, but they were not showing up in the register. I don't know where that inpage came from, but it was supposed to read in the register. I created all the categories again, merged them, and changed the names back to the same ones I had. It seems like a glitch since they weren't hidden. Thanks for the help.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

I'm still puzzled what you mean by an "inpage"; that's not a term I've heard before. Do you perhaps mean a pop-up or drop-down menu? A pop-up dialog box?

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited March 19
    Options

mybank2002 said…

I don't know where that inpage came from, but it was supposed to read in the register. 

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • jacobs
    edited March 19
    Options

mybank2002 said…

I don't know where that inpage came from, but it was supposed to read in the register. 

I guess I'm being obtuse; can you translate that for me? 🤣 I don't understand "inpage" or "supposed to read in the register"? Does "read" mean "be visible" or "input" or ???

EDIT: Or we can just drop it, since @mybank2002 seems to have resolved whatever the problem was. 😉

• mybank2002
    mybank2002 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Since I can't edit the post here is the correction if it helps at all.

I have categories I am trying to enter on a Mac with Quicken 7.6.1, and they show up in the Categories Window but I can not enter them as income in the register. I can't tell the difference between the ones that show up and the ones that don't when I go to edit them in the Categories window. So in other words if I type something unique to the Category Window like "IFWA" it shows up just fine but when I type it in the category in the register it doesn't show up. The category is not hidden and when I compare things that will show up in the register category back in the Cagegories Window with the cagegories that work and the categories that don't work I don't see anything that is visibly different between them. Neither of them are marked as hidden and are in the same subcategory.

Hopefully that makes a little more sense and I hope I didn't over describe the issue.

• jacobs
    Options

@mybank2002 Thanks for the wordier explanation; I understand what you're saying now! 😀

And I don't understand why you're experiencing what you're describing. 😂

Here's a screenshot of my typing the letters "Elec" in the Category field of a new transaction:

You can see several things. First: it has guessed that I want "Electric", so it has supplied the letters "tric" to auto-complete the word in the box where I was typing. It has also highlighted "Utilities:Electric" in the pop-up menu, probably because that's the one I have used most recently. It also shows seven other categories which contain the letters "elec". I created the one called Electricity Rebates as an Income category to show that it will show both income and expense categories in the list — because it doesn't know whether what I'm in the process of entering is income or expense.

If I'm correctly understanding what you're describing, you're doing the same thing, but a category which matches what you've typed does not show up in the list? That doesn't make sense, since the list should match whatever you type. Heck, if I just type the letter "e", it will show a pop-up menu I can scroll through with every category starting with or containing the letter "e". It also doesn't matter whether the matched letter(s) appear in the main category, sub-category, or sub-sub-category. I created a few extra sub-categories for testing, and as you can see, it's still matching categories which go five sub-categories deep:

I also created a sub-sub-sub-sub category with a very long name to see if the length of the characters mattered, but it still appeared as expected in the drop-down menu:

So I'm still puzzled by what you're running into with some categories not showing up. If you're able to capture screen shots of your categories window showing a particular category and the drop-down category window in a transaction which doesn't show that transaction, I'd be interested in seeing it. Or if you're doing something different than what I've described and shown here, please explain.

This discussion has been closed.