Downloading & Installing software updates - process stalls at Optimizing and Executing Files.

Options
Lori  Guyett
Lori Guyett Member ✭✭

I saw this problem by another user and the discussion was closed. Why? It's still an issue. The user wrote last November these exact words and it's been happening to me as well for the past year. I've called support and they have no solution. "The Downloading & Installing updates process stalls at Optimizing and executing files. A close and restart seems to bypass this problem. BUT ITS NOT RIGHT! USERS AND NOT EVER CERTAIN THEIR UPDATES ARE PROPERLY INSTALLED."

Comments

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

The problem is fixed in the latest update R55.15. Use Help → Check for Updates, to get it.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Divemaster
    Divemaster Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I just updated to R55.15 from R54.16 and still got the same error as I posted back in November 2023. I made another post today with error log, same as in November. Also, posted the path that is suppose to be there, but isn't. Thankfully my updates just spin for couple minutes, gets error and I click in close, the Quicken says update successful. Maybe you mean error fixed in R55.15 and won't happen on next update? This has issue has a number of post that all just get closed with no solution. Super Validate runs with no errors, system software checks run no errors.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Are you talking about a Windows popup error message during installation, something like "UpdateIcons has stopped working"?

If so, close the prompt and Quicken installation should continue.

• Divemaster
    Divemaster Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 17
    Options

Yes after a few minutes of stalling at "Optimizing and executing files" message spinning, you get an error that goes too fast across the screen to capture. It has has a progress bar going left to right and then when bar gets all way to right the screen below displays. Click close and Quicken will say update successful immediately, it doesn't run any more update. You look at the error message in the windows log and the path it shows does not contain UpdateIcons.exe. Actually, it doesn't have several levels above Updatelcons.exe in the path shown in the error log. This was suppose to have been fixed, but I still got it on R55.15 update. This issue has been reported a number of times. I should feel lucky, my updates only spin "Optimizing and executing files" for maybe a minute or two. Others have said 45 minutes plus.

I wish Quicken would fix or just say why it's happening and not just ignore. You don't get a lot of confidence with these kind of messages when updating.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Well, based on when this came out, and that it is "UpdateIcons", it seems that its sole purpose is change to the "classic" icons.

Which from what you have said in the past happens even though this fails. At some point maybe they will remove the whole thing (but I doubt it, and I doubt even more that they will try to fix it). After all the latest full install hopefully already has the right icons, and even if the icons don't get changed it isn't the end of the world.

But what you are really fighting is "priority"/reproducibility. Clearly this would be very hard to reproduce since it on even very few user's machines let alone a developer's machine. And it most likely some kind anti-virus software or setting on that machine. The "impact" is low, the effort to fix it is high.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Divemaster
    Divemaster Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Next time I update, I will try to remember to stop Webroot and let Microsoft Defender take over. I said I would do that earlier, but then I thought it was resolved. I know what you mean by priority/reproducibility, but back in the old days, I would have been required to find out and fix the problem- and that was even government work. With the mix of PCs, software versions and the number of processes running it can be challenging. But the right programmer has to know what is going on in that small portion of code and what could cause that message and event.

Oh well, hope all are having a good day- a lot worse things could be happening in the world.

This discussion has been closed.