One Step Update - "Updating Account" process - takes over 60secs to complete

Options
Ps56k2
Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Have noticed that the OSU is taking a long time in one specific step - Updating Accounts -
It is taking over 60secs for this phase of OSU - all other aspects only take a few secs.
R54.16 - and all these accounts are EWC+ …. doesn't matter is repeated during the day.

Waiting — Updating Account — Processing — Downloading — Complete

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

Comments

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Let me address both of these threads.

60 seconds is nothing. The approximate "standard time" is 3 minutes (as recorded by me, and others on here), provided you are talking about the time for One Step Update to run.

As for the thread that @mshiggins posted, I didn't want to post a "downer" on what is clearly working better for some people, but as far as I can tell the time to complete hasn't changed. I suspect that the people that are really happy are because their update times were terrible for some reason. Note I'm talking about "first update", because Quicken isn't doing a real update if you do back-to-back updates. I haven't pinned down the time, but some large (say an hour) has to pass before it will do a real update again.

I did notice that it now prints Waiting (fast), and then Updating Account… for a bit and then Processing Download… for a much longer time. But in reality, overall time hasn't changed that I have noticed. Note looking at the logs "Processing Download" (if done at all) must be on the server because Quicken (the program) is waiting for a response from the server during this time. And really hope it doesn't take more than say 2 1/2 minutes "process downloads".

And yes, I have one Direct Connect account that takes seconds to complete.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

BTW the new process throws in a "Cloud update" dialog about once a day.

@Ps56k2 Just to make sure I'm not getting your statement wrong. Mine spends that most time in the "Processing" state, not the Waiting state. So, maybe I went off on the wrong track.

Signature:
  • QuickUserPSP
    QuickUserPSP Member, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

My OSU takes 45 seconds to update the first time, and then 30 seconds if repeated thereafter. This is standard for my setup and hasn't varied for years. I install updates as soon as I can, and they never have caused an issue with system performance.

7 FIs

18 Active accounts (12 DC, 5 EWC, 1 EWC+)

27 Quotes update

Cloud Sync also

• QuickUserPSP
    Options

The only time it takes longer is when there are transmission errors (CC type errors). So, when it does take longer, I know that there will be some errors that will pop up.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I should really get out a stopwatch and time it again, "it feels like the same" is probably not the best way to measure this.

Also, one of the things that Express Web Connect and Express Web Connect + processing does that can really throw this off is that they are done in parallel and none of them complete until all of them complete. That means you have just one of them making it look like all of them are taking that amount of time. Whereas Direct Connect is always doing them serially (but in parallel to Express Web Connect/Express Web Connect +).

As for what I have:

1 DC.

3 EWC logins for with a total of 6 accounts (I'm betting it is more about the number of logins than accounts performance wise)

2 EWC+ logins for a total 8 accounts. (all of this is Chase).

Signature:
  • retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 17
    Options

As @Chris_QPW posted earlier (in part): As for the thread that @mshiggins posted, I didn't want to post a "downer" on what is clearly working better for some people, but as far as I can tell the time to complete hasn't changed. I suspect that the people that are really happy are because their update times were terrible for some reason.

My startup and OSU was very slow for months, months and months on 2 computers and many here tried to help by suggesting everything from a bad router, bad ISP, deficient computers, corrupted data file, and etc. None of those were found to be the cause. All I know is the R55.15 update fixed my terrible startup and one step update times using the same setup, without change, that were suspect before. So I am very pleased that Quicken addressed it with the update.

Windows 11 (2 separate computers)..... Quicken Premier.. HAVE USED QUICKEN CONTINUOUSLY SINCE 1985.

• QuickUserPSP
    Options

@retird - glad it's working better for you now, but please keep an "eye on it". Most of the time file corruption is hidden, and you can only diagnose it by a process of elimination. I only say this because it looks like you've been having issues with your data file and Quicken for a while now.

I don't know how long you've had your current data file, but have you tried starting with a new data file?

• Greg Brown
    Greg Brown Member, Windows Beta Beta
    edited March 18
    Options

I have 47 active EWC/EWC+ Logins

2 DC logins

I imagine that's what the vast update time difference is.

Quicken Business and Personal-R55.26. Windows 11 PRO current on updates

• Greg Brown
    Greg Brown Member, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

I have noticed one glaring difference. I have a Venmo account, and I would always get an email notification from them just before the MFA prompt would appear which was near the end of OSU. I now get the email at the start of OSU, which leads me to believe they are using some kind of parallel or multi-threaded process to do OSU whereas before it was linear…

Quicken Business and Personal-R55.26. Windows 11 PRO current on updates

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 18
    Options

Nope, my data file is fine. A couple years ago folks here said my data file was too big and causing issues (nowhere near the size Quickens states is the maximum) but I started a new file then. I've learned when suspecting a data file issue just create a "test data file" and see if it changes anything. If it doesn't why create a new data file? The speed improvement from R55.15 is seen on the same data file I was told to create years ago. I will monitor my data file as always and post minor issues that may crop up (mostly due to issues with new updates) which require hot fixes.

Windows 11 (2 separate computers)..... Quicken Premier.. HAVE USED QUICKEN CONTINUOUSLY SINCE 1985.

• QuickUserPSP
    edited March 18
    Options

I have 85,987 transactions going back to 1993 and my file is 111,697 bytes. I have rebuilt my data file at least five times, the first time in 2013. Mostly because I had to and other times because I wanted to. By doing this I have learned that not all fixes are retroactive, meaning that if you have an old file, the fixes might not work for you because the fixes are made going forward. The last time I rebuilt my file was September 2023 when I had major issues that left my file unusable. I ultimately figured out the solution on my own. That incident has taught me a lot about how the file works, and what not to do, and what you should do to keep your connections and file working smoothly. Sometimes overzealously trying to stop syncing to the cloud is not a good idea. Messing with any of the configuration or .ini files can cause issues. Deleting folders is never a good idea. Lastly, your Quicken ID can have issues, that cause multiple connection issues. A corrupted Quicken ID is an issue I haven't seen discussed.

• QuickUserPSP
    edited March 18
    Options

I forgot to mention that there was only one superuser, @markus1957 who turned out to be spot on as to what my issue was. I just didn't realize it at the time. I had to get a brand new Quicken ID and start over again with a new data file. Just starting a new data file didn't work. I had the same connection errors in the new file. The key was getting a new Quicken ID and starting over again as a new user.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Update on my times (done separately for each login):

2 Chase/Express Web Connect + investment accounts, no transactions: 22 seconds.
    6 Chase/Express Web Connect + accounts, 1 checking, 2 credit, and 3 investment, small amount of transactions for each credit card: 31 seconds.
    1 Citi Cards/Direct connect, no transactions: 7 seconds.
    1 Macy's Credit Card Express Web Connect: 30 seconds.
    4 Synchrony Express Web Connect accounts, no transactions: 2 minutes 11 seconds.

Note that if I kicked this off all at the same time then all, but the Citi credit card would have been done in parallel.

Looking at this now separated out I can say that I got fooled by the Synchrony update. The Synchrony update has always been slow, that is on Synchrony not Quicken. The old times were that the Express Web Connect + accounts were taking 3 minutes, so yes, the times have been vastly improved! I will leave a comment in the other thread thanking the developers.

Tomorrow I will kick off the update with all but the Synchrony login to get a "full" update time (without the problem financial institution). I expect it will be pretty much the same as the longest one done in serial.

Signature:
  • retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Chris_QPW can I assume you have no "2 factor authentications" to make in your OSU?

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Correct. Direct Connect and Express Web Connect + have none of that garbage, and I'm lucky that Macy's and Synchrony don't have it.

Signature:
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 18
    Options

This is a very interesting topic for me as I was considering upgrading from a 2022 R43.xx release. I am still at under 30 seconds for the entire 30+ connected accounts of all kinds. I did rebuild my entire file in 2020 and got lot of help from @Chris_QPW (thank you buddy). If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I'll ride it as long as I can because it's been solid. Adding: Except for Vanguard, everything else I have is EWC/+.

- QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• AlexisoftheShire
    AlexisoftheShire Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I check my OSU every now and then. It is a consistent 2 minutes for 13 accounts. Been that way for a long time through two different laptops over the past 4 years. Been a Quicken user for 24 years. Bought a new Windows 11, Dell XPS i7, 16gb ram, 1 tb ssd last week. Still 2 minutes. I always find it a good time to refresh my coffee. When I come back OSU is complete and I can accept transactions for whichever accounts were updated and then reconcile the accounts.

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Well I did an OSU on both computers this morning. Redundant computers accessing the same Financial Institutions with different data files in case one crashes.

1st Financial Institution with 15 accounts:

3 checking accounts. ( 1 joint account and 2 individual accounts) , 2 money market savings accounts ( 1 joint and 1 individual account), and 10 investments accounts ( 5 accounts for each individual ).

Requires 2 separate "2 factor authentications" during OSU. One for each individual. This is necessary for enhanced security.

Did an OSU on both computers: Computer 1 took 2 minutes 33 seconds and computer 2 took 2 minutes 37 seconds.

2nd Financial Institution with 4 accounts (only accessed by turning it on in the OSU 4 times per year). This institution not included in the OSU times listed above.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

This morning, I updated all the Express Web Connect + and the Direct Connect account (which really doesn't count since it done in parallel with the Express Web Connect + and takes just a few seconds), leaving out the Express Web Connect accounts.

33 seconds. So, as expected, almost exactly the same as the longest "login" which was 31 seconds yesterday.

Signature:
This discussion has been closed.