from non-traded REIT to IPO

Options
kgunther
kgunther Member ✭✭
edited April 16 in Investing (Windows)

I would like to know how best to manage having owned stock that then went public. Here is my specific example: I owned American Healthcare REIT which was a non-traded REIT and they had their IPO on 2/7, now called AHR. I had been entering the stock price and dividends manually under their original name and now would like to continue as AHR without losing the history and cost basis. Do I just go under "edit security details" and change the name? If I do that I don't lose the old data, but I think I lose the original name. So what is the best way to do this in quicken???

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

It looks like the name has not changed but it now has the ticker.

Do you have the same number of shares as you did before? If so, you should be able to change the name, add the ticker, and check the Download quotes box in the Security List. If it asks what to do with the old prices, say you want to merge them. Back up your data file first just in case.

Do you hold the shares directly or are they at a brokerage? If at a brokerage you may have to move them from the current account to the brokerage.

QWin Premier subscription
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I agree with your assessment that you lose the old name. In such situations, I generally do that as a lesser of evils choice. You can put a reminder transaction in the account to that effect if you choose, but that is not very obvious information.

A name change for a security actually happens almost frequently.

• kgunther
    kgunther Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks to Jim_Harman and q-lurker for both responding so quickly! I think this is the first time I have posted a question in the community and I'm happy it is so helpful! The brokerage hasn't changed. I think what I will do is put in a reminder transaction with a memo with the original name and date of IPO so if I ever wonder, I can see when it happened. And I will just go ahead and edit the ticker. Thanks again!

This discussion has been closed.