Quicken Planning: Retirement Investments not listed as retirement

Options

The planning tool incorrectly lists many of our retirement accounts as "General Use". I've verified the accounts are properly notated as 401k's or IRA's in the register/account list.

Q user since "Dial-up"

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

But on the Account Details screen, what shows as the "Account Type" And, just below that, is each marked as "Tax Deferred"?

TOOLS, Account List and click EDIT adjacent to each retirement account to see this.

Lastly, where are you seeing "General Use"? I see no such designation in my Q accounts.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• jimbutton1
    jimbutton1 Member ✭✭
    Options

Yes, "Account Type" is "Tax Deferred". I've deleted these accounts and completely re-downloaded and set-up as "Traditional IRA (tax deferred)", "Roth 401k (non-tax deferred)", and "Roth IRA (non-tax deferred)".

Also, two of the accounts is set-up as my spouses (in Account list) but shows in as "My Account" and "General Use" in "Planning/Investments".

Q user since "Dial-up"

• Scooterlam
    Scooterlam SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

With regard to your second issue, have a look (and vote) at the post below. Also, please report a problem, in app. There is a known bug when you create and setup a spouses tax deferred account, the ownership you assigned does not convey correctly into the Lifetime Planner. In LTP, select the spouses tax deferred account(s) in the Investment edit window, and under the detail button, you can select the correct owner. Image.

• jimbutton1
    jimbutton1 Member ✭✭
    Options

Nope…still shows as "General expenses". Any oyther ideas?

Q user since "Dial-up"

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

AHHH, I finally found the "General Expenses" label. I don't use the "Lifetime Planner", which is why I hadn't previously seen it.

Also, shouldn't the 2 Roth accounts be "Tax Free" … since you don't pay taxes when withdrawing from them?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Scooterlam
    Scooterlam SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited March 18
    Options

Are your Roths setup as shown in the image below? If "Tax deferred" is check as "no" then it will not show up as a "retirement account".

If you're interested, here is some additional color on how Roths are handled in LTP. See my posts in the thread.

This discussion has been closed.