Interest for US treasury bills not handled correctly.

Options
britsoftltd
britsoftltd Member
edited April 19 in Investing (Mac)

When a US treasury bill is purchased, it is purchased at a discount like $98. When the treasury bill matures, you get $100 for it. That $2 difference is interest. Quicken does not enter difference between purchase and redemption as interest. It requires the investment to be identified as a treasury bill when the asset is created.

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

So what's the problem if correctly creating the security eliminates the issue?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited March 18
    Options

@NotACPA I don't think it does, though. When I tested it just now, selling a Treasury Bill on its maturity date for more than the purchase price generated a capital gain, not interest.

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited March 18
    Options

There doesn't seem to be a way to tell Quicken Mac what the face value of the bond is, so it wouldn't know if you were redeeming for face value or selling at a premium (which I believe would generate a capital gain).

My mistake, forgot to use the Buy Bonds/Sell Bonds transaction types. Doesn't seem to help, though, I still wind up with capital gains instead of interest.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Since I don't run QMac, I was responding the the last sentence of the OP.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• spesci
    spesci Member
    Options

Agreed…there is a problem in Quicken as it is treating the net as capital gain instead of interest - so it appears and Capital Gains report instead of the Dividends and interest report…..

Software glitch or is there a workaround/other way to handle these common instruments?

Quicken Mac user.

This discussion has been closed.