Unspecified rental expense

Options

I know this topic has be broached about 3 or so years ago, but it hasn't been corrected. I've tried a few different ways to fix this, but none has worked. When choosing Sch E: taxes, it reverts to "unspecified rental expense", one way I've seen it remain "Sch E: taxes" is if I change the category to one of my accounts. I've tried to find, change or delete the "unspecified rental expense" inside the category icon, that doesn't work. All other sch E tax choices work.

I hope this is enough info to solicit help?

Thanks

Tagged:

Comments

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Where are you seeing this? In one of the Tax reports? Somewhere else?

What Category are you using for the expense when you see this problem? If you go to Tools > Category List what is the Tax Line Item for that Category?

QWin Premier subscription
  • jam l
    jam l Member ✭✭
    Options

Seems most of the Schedule E is where my issues are. I've tried to change the category and name of the payee, seems the system want to place all as "unspecified rental expense"

• Jim_Harman
    Options

Quicken is doing exactly what it has been told to do.

You need to select the correct Tax Line Item for each affected Category.

• jam l
    jam l Member ✭✭
    Options

Jim, i guess I'm not providing you with enough information to help with my issue. When I make an entry into my ledger, and say its "xyz county taxes"; and the category is "property tax". Well, when I select a "tax line item" it will not allow me to pick any other tax line item, except "Schedule E: unspecified rental expense"; not Schedule E: taxes or Schedule E: utilities, or Schedule E: management fee…ect,..none. It will make all choices under Schedule E "Schedule E: unspecified rental expense" Hope this helps?

Thanks for your help

• jam l
    jam l Member ✭✭
    Options

Possible to get an answer for why none of the Schedule E work? No matter what tax line you choose under "Schedule E" it defaults to "unspecified rental expense". Would changing the category make a different?

• Jim_Harman
    Options

Repeating my earlier question,

Where are you seeing this? In one of the Tax reports? Somewhere else?

This discussion has been closed.