2 subscriptions, 2 different laptops, 2 different users/IDs

Options
MSBenn
MSBenn Member ✭✭

I may be dense or overthinking this. Laptop A is dying. Laptop A has MY Quicken data and files on it. It is the newest subscription although been a user since the 2000. Wife has her own subscription on NEW laptop. How do we move My Files on Laptop A over to Laptop B and keep everything and everyone's data separate? There is the "Q" logo shortcut on both our machines. Both of us use Home & Business for Windows.

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You just need to copy the .QDF data file from A to B. Put it in the same folder on B as B's data file is in, obviously the files' names have to be different and can be renamed in Windows Explorer. If you need to find the file, do: File→Show this file on my computer and Windows Explorer will open to the correct folder.

If you are going to share the same Quicken ID, you will need to change the Quicken ID associated with the copied A data file. Do the following after opening the data file on B: Edit→Preferences→Quicken Id and then "login as different user" using B's Quicken ID.

If you are going to continue using both Quicken Ids on computer B, follow these instructions (originally written for a personal and club situation, versus his/her) for safely changing between the Quicken IDs:

======

You already have both editions of Quicken installed. There is only ONE subscription Quicken program, the license decides which features (edition) are available.
    You can switch between editions by going thru EditPreferencesQuicken Id, "login as different user".
    To prevent hiccups in your separate data files, make sure that they are both uniquely named and switch between them using this process.
    Create a dummy data file named something like go_between.qdf with no accounts in it, it is just for transitioning between the two Quicken IDs.
    Now, you do NOT want to open your personal data file while the Quicken program is setup for the Club's ID and the same holds true for opening the Club's data file with your personal ID.
    So, that is where the dummy data file comes into play. Lets say you are using your data file and now want to work with the Club's data file.

1. Open the dummy data file using either FileOpen Quicken file or picking it from the recent file list on the File menu.
    2. Do EditPreferencesQuicken Id and then "login as different user" using the Club's ID.
    3. Open the Club's data file using either FileOpen Quicken file or picking it from the recent file list on the File menu.
    4. Do what ever you needed to do.

Now, when you want to work with your personal data file, follow the same procedure except substitute your personal data file and Quicken ID where you used the Club's information.
    I suggest always returning the state of registration of Quicken to your personal Quicken ID and only
    have it in "Club mode" when it needs to be so that you don't
    inadvertently open your personal data file with the Club ID which would
    require you do do steps 1 & 2 again as 5 & 6 using personal ID.
    ======

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

As mentioned by @splasher - it really depends on WHY you have 2 different Quicken IDs for the 2 different laptops.
    Were you aware you can use a single Quicken User ID on multiple computers …..
    JUST NOT (easily) the same QDF file - that is a different discussion.

SO - why did you chose to have two Quicken User IDs ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• MSBenn
    MSBenn Member ✭✭
    Options

She had Quicken back in late 1990s. She brought me over into the "family early 2000's. We always each had our own PC and Quicken software/CD. Then things changed and no more CDs and I blew up a few desktops along the way. She reupped her subscription separately from me. And when I got the email from Quicken to renew I did - hence why we have 2 separate subscriptions and QIDs etc. I guess we could just use one and have her business and accounts under her data file and my stuff under me. She still has a business and keeps separate accounts etc. Does this make sense? And I would just follow your instructions in the first part of your reply above?

• MSBenn
    MSBenn Member ✭✭
    Options

I think if you read my reply to @splasher, it will tell you. Dumba$$ me just did what I normally do, open click buy then ask the wife what did I do??? I dont think we do need 2 subscriptions!

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

From what I understand from your telling, you don't need two accounts and if it has been less than 30 days, apply for a refund by contacting https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support

You also can have it on both computers with the one subscription, just use the same Quicken Id when registering. Do the Edit→Preferences as described above on A.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• MSBenn
    MSBenn Member ✭✭
    Options

I need wife to go through the instructions you provided to save my QData off Laptop A to usb thumb drive and install on her Laptop. I tried it and it didn't work for me. Will try again today. I need I think step by step/visuals. Sorry to be dense, you're dealing with someone pushing late 70's and still has issues w/ a smart phone, not even an iphone.

This discussion has been closed.