Why doesn't Quicken create an automatic backup when I sign out before quitting? (Q Mac)

Options
JohnnyBill
JohnnyBill Member

If I go to Quicken > Quit Quicken, it makes an automatic backup in the designated backup folder, and then quits. However, if i go to Quicken > Sign out… the result is Are you sure you want to sign out? Signing out will close the current document. To open it again, choose it from the File > Open Recent menu. (Cancel) (Sign Out). I click the button to (Sign Out), and then I see the standard Sign In window, I close the window, and get the following message:

You aren’t signed in. Quicken will quit if you close this window. with the options (Cancel) and (Quit).

I click (Quit), and Quicken quits, but doesn't make an automatic backup.

Is this a bug? I assumed it was making the automatic local backup when it quits, but when I looked in the Backups folder, it had been over a week since the last automatic backup.

What's the deal here? Feeling a little unsafe…

Answers

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

I don't know if I would classify this as a bug.

It isn't intended for users to be logging out between sessions. Think of the login more as activating/deactivating the program; once you are logged in, your free to use your various files without expired subscription restrictions, and closing each file should create the automated backup.

Logging out doesn't change your online banking safety; it simply tells the program if you have an active subscription.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

Oops, I just typed basically what John said a few minutes before me… Why are you trying to Sign Out rather than simply Quit? It's intended for user storage Quit the program when done using it, which will generate an automatic backup. Signing Out is logging out of your Quicken account, but not quitting the program or even closing the current file. There's no reason to Sign Out unless a user with a different Quicken ID needs to use the same computer and Mac user account, or occasionally if online services get confused and logging out and back in again refreshes things. I never use Sign Out, but I do regularly Quit Quicken.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • JohnnyBill
    JohnnyBill Member
    Options

I was signing out to require a password to open my data file. Is this not necessary?

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

No. If you want to setup a file password, do that in Quicken:Settings: Security

You can setup a password there.

• JohnnyBill
    JohnnyBill Member
    Options

Oh, now I understand. Thanks, Jacobs and John-in-NC!

This discussion has been closed.